How low can I go?

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
Contemplating building a computer for a friend going off to college as a gift. Obviously this computer would have to be cheap to not be refused as too expensive. How cheap of a Micro-ATX motherboard can I get while insuring stability? Friend is female, knows extremely little about computers, and will only be concerned with whether it works or not most likely, so VIA or the like is an option if it isn't going to blow up or something. The mobo is likely to be mated with a mid-range celeron.

For example, ASUS has a $50 MicroATX motherboard on Newegg with a VIA chipset. Next Intel chipset is $13 more. I'm not a tightwad, but this is getting more expensive than I thought it'd be....

Of course, this machine will be given in July. Am I a fool for even looking now, because tech will be so much better (well, currently good tech will have slid down into this price point, anyway), or is now a good time?

If you don't need it for july don't waste your time now....this is technology....prices go down, speed goes up.

If this is a gift for July, don't even bother at this point. Things will only get cheaper.

Might want to consider an AMD XP1700+ setup of somekind ..bang for the buck, I think AMD owns that department ..I'm not a fanboy at all (I run an Intel system) ..but I do build comps on the side and have a lot of request for cheap and fast systems , so am checking on prices alot for peeps and mostly deal with newegg on new stuff.

Western Digital 40GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD400BB, OEM Drive only $52

Pro Source Full Tower Case Model 606LUNA(Blue) Retail. w/350wtt PSU $37

BIOSTAR nForce2 IGP Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "M7NCG 400" -RETAIL $65(onboard vid and sound)

Apacer 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-2100 - OEM $38 x2

Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S, OEM $35

AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 266MHz FSB, 256KB L2 Cache Processor - OEM $50

KEYBOARD-2000 KB-558B/P Keyboard and Optical Mouse Combo PS2 104keys -RETAIL $16

Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu+ CPU Cooler for Socket A/370. $11.99 (includes shipping)

PANASONIC JU-256A798P 1.44 MB 3.5 INCH HIGH DENSITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE, OEM DRIVE ONLY $9.99

AOC Unbranded D1770 17" CRT Monitor $114

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM $91

..brand new everything for just under $500 ...of course theres a lot of corners you could cut here ....:)

..and I would wait and check prices in June on stuff ..mo bettah fo mo cheapah

I have a P4 too, but I agree with ThreeDee, you'll get a lot more performance for your money with a AMD system then you will with a celeron based one.
On the performance side of the market, you can argue over who has the best processor, but there's no competition in the value segment. I can't see why anyone would by a celeron based system.

Back