How does this sound so far???

BigJavy

Lurker
Hey... I'm building my sister a computer for college. She's always had my hand-me-down computers (even tho she's gonna get a few parts this time). so I kinda wanna build her something nice this time. Here's what I have in mind so far (prices from NewEgg):

Soltek EQ3801 - $299
Some Athlon 64 for around $230 (clawhammer? newcastle? help! no oc'ing prolly...)
Some Floppy - $11
Seagate 160gb SATA 8mb - $115
Mushkin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - $77

I was gonna buy myself:
LiteOn SOHW-832S - $95 give her my lite-on burner (she doesn't need dvd stuff)
BFG 6800 GT OC - $399 or w/e give her my 5900xt (she doesn't need a 6800 either)

So that's $823 not including the vid card
My dad's buying all this so i'll tell him I'll pay him back for the vid card and it won't be a big deal right now.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the only major thing I need is a monitor (not worried about speakers right now... i'll pick her up some 2.1's later). Can anyone recommend a decent 17"+ lcd for $350ish (give or take $50). She MIGHT watch the occasional movie on her comp... but no serious gaming or anything so I'm thinking she doesn't need at 16ms lcd. 25ms ok? Any suggestions? And should i get the monitor somewhere other than newegg? i've heard iffy things about their dead pixel policy.

Thanks!
Jason

the 3801 kicks ass so hard i cant believe it.
... of course she wont need a 6800GT either. SFF have 280 or smaller ps's anyway so the 5950 will do just fine :rolleyes: ( i cant believe i just said that) for a person who does not play games. ooops, roust-mode is starting readjusting now. :)
since your not gonna o/c, go clawhammer.
stock cooling is not what i wanted so i shoe-horned the zalman round copper unit. Fan is slower but it cools well. GL

hehe... the 6800GT's for me! I was considering waiting one more gen to upgrade but i'm thinkin my next upgrade will be an entire overhaul... to pci-e, 64 bit, ddr 2, etc etc, w/e i can waste a $h1t load of money on at the time. Anyways... i'm sure the 5900xt will be plenty for her e-mailing/web browsing/IM'ing/etc.

Back