How do I know if my CPU is dead?

Luda

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, since coming back from the holidays to my dorm room, my computer won't boot... no I didn't leave it on the whole time, it was off.

When I press the power button, I do not get a signal to the monitor. The optical drives light up and the HD LED lights up.... but I don't get any beeps whatsoever.

I've tried
resetting the CMOS
tried three different video cards.. including a Voodoo PCI card
tested each stick of RAM
removed all PCI cards
changed motherboard from an 8RDA+ to an NF7-S

still... the same result with each time I try to boot

The CPU is an Athlon 2400+ .. it was slightly overclocked to 2600+ speeds

if you have tried everything else

either the problem is with your cpu

or concievable (though very unlikely) your case or powersupply

What about the fact that the system stays on though? All the fans and lights stay on... but the boot process never goes through.

I mean.. if it was a heat issue or something, then the system shuts itself off...

I had the same problem when I upgraded my heatsink ... everything would turn on spin and make noise but the computer would never post
I replaced my soyo dragon with a nf7-s and i was able to boot .... so since you tried that already get a 400W+ PSU and try your luck there

try bare booting the PC.... take out all the pci cards... harddrives, cd-roms and only one stick of ramand try your luck with the different vid cards you have... try and have as littel plugged into the pc as possible and swap the ram sticks around if need be...

if that dosent work.. a new power supply, if still a no go.... your proc/board is dead...

thore

Do you have a differant psu handy? Or a computer you can try putting the suspect psu in?

Back