HOT! EMachine Laptop $1,549.99

dktchan

Gawd
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6807

Specifications
Display: 15.4" Widescreen TFT LCD WXGA (1280 x 800 max. resolution)
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64-bit 3000+ Mobile Processor
64-bit Architecture operates at 1.800 GHz
System Bus uses HyperTransport™
Technology operating at 1600 MHz
1 MB L2 Cache
Memory: 512 MB DDR SODIMM (PC 2700)
Hard Drive: 60 GB HDD
Optical Drives: DVD +/- RW Drive (Write Max: 2.4x DVD+R, 2.4x DVD+RW, 2x DVD-R, 2x DVD-RW, 16x CD-R and 10x CD-RW disks, Reads 8x Max. DVD-ROM disks, Reads 24x Max. CD-ROM disks); Media Reader (Compact Flash, Micro Drive, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro)
Video: ATI® RADEON™ 9600 Discrete Graphics with built in 64MB Video RAM
Sound: PC2001 Compliant AC '97 Audio
Built-in Stereo Speakers
Modem: 56K* ITU V.92 Fax/Modem
Network: Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN (up to 54Mbps); 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Pointing Device: Touchpad with Vertical Scroll Zone
Battery: 8-cell Lithium-ion (Li-ion)
Dimensions: 1.6"h x 14.0"w x 10.4"d
Weight: 7.5 lbs. (8.65 total travel weight)
Internet: AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details
Ports/Other: 4 USB 2.0 ports, 1 IEEE 1394, 1 VGA External Connector, 1 S-Video Out, Microphone In, Headphone/Audio Out, 1 PCMCIA Slot (Card Bus type I or type II)
Pre-Installed Software: Microsoft Works 7.0, Microsoft Money 2004, Encarta Online, Adobe® Acrobat® Reader™, Microsoft Media Player, Real Player, PowerDVD, Internet Explorer, Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator (DVD Edition), BigFix®, MSN®, CompuServe®, AOL 9.0 (with 3 months membership included**), Norton AntiVirus 2004 (90 day complimentary subscription)

Going to pick up one of these in about 2 weeks :p

Looks really good from what people are saying in the mobile computing forum

It's an e-machines though...I have not heard one single good thing about them...can anyone verify?

Its rebadged, e-machines doesn't make this.

cant remember the company name that does. I think its Arima or something like that.

Yes its Arima.

And emachines tech support is supposedly better than other OEMs like Dell, since they outsource.

keep in mind that if you run on battery you are stuck at 800 mhz but other than that great machine

Originally posted by Milenk0
It's an e-machines though...I have not heard one single good thing about them...can anyone verify?

Don't hate on eMachines. They make good cheap computers. I'd buy eMachines over Dell/Gateway/HP.

I build, though. :D If I had 1600 and a need for a laptop, I would not hesitate to get one of these.

Originally posted by rhansen5_99
keep in mind that if you run on battery you are stuck at 800 mhz but other than that great machine

I think you can change it in the bios. And if not AMDPowerNow should fix that.

Originally posted by Zlash
Your fuking crazy if you buy an emachine over a Dell.

Your a fuckign moron to buy a Dell. E-machines are the perfect computer for someone on a budget and needs a entry level machine for e-mail web browsing, and such. Definatly not a gamer machine, but their tech support is 100 times better then Dell's. Dell sucks my ass all around, their computer are crap, and their tech support is even worse. E-machines are number one in my book for recomendation to our clients who need a cheap, but powerful computer for basic needs (everything but gaming/video editing).

You're right, its a sick laptop for a super price, but we have it where I work and it has been nothing but trouble since we got it. It hasnt been just my store, it has been all the other ones in the district. We all have had problems with all of the Emachines of this model and the one with the DVDRW. Actually, as I write this at work, there are two being returned now at the front counter.
I really like this model and its video card is great but all of them here have been very problematic. Ramdom blue screens, lock ups, slow boots, etc... terrible.

BTW emachines have gotten so much better and are a great value.

Anyone find it odd that its a top of the line laptop, clearly for the computer geek/business and yet it come with XP Home?

I never understand why people hate on emachines so much. Yeah, there pcs from back in the day sucked, used cheap motherboards from unknow companies etc. But dont talk about stuff in the past and carry it on to the present. There pcs now are pretty good. I would get one over a hp or compaq ne day. Especially a dell. And i dont get why people say, emachines is good, but only if your doing email. Like some guy said above, he recommends emachines to his clients b/c there good pcs for email and internet, but not gaming and video editing. Emachines does not make just 1 model pc. They use celerons, athlons, p4s and athlon 64's. So all these models are good just for email and internet? Thats ridicoulous. There athlon 64 desktop has a msi motherboard, samsung ram(pc2700), western digital hd, etc. So i dont see emachines is good for nothing but email. So if i wanted to do other stuff, i should get a hp or compaq or dell,.and not an emachine?

More that 80% of hps and compaqs use intergrated graphics cards. I can really care less about emachines, hp , etc as most of us on this board build are own pcs. Just tired of people talking all this trash about emachines, all really b/c of the name. Then whey i go to work at bestbuy, i have to deal with the idiot customers whose "pc friend" and guru said stay away from emachines b/c there only good for email, and internet, they use generic parts, there not upgradeable. Anyone who sells emachines knows what im talking about. There almost as bad as the people who come in and dont even wanna look at athlon b/c once again there pc buddy said only get pentium 4, or pentenium as they like to call it. LOL. Just gets irritating after a while. Well, thats my 2 cents.

wow this is a [H]ot Deal!!! I'm gonna go and grab one right now :eek:

Here are some Cliff Notes for your post and try to make complete coherent sentences next time.

Cliff Notes:
-E-machines aren't as bad as people say they are.
-They can do more then just e-mail.
-They are about as good as HPs, Compaqs, or dells (which says a lot).

You're Welcome;)

Emachines are not bad computers at all, if i was going to buy a prebuilt, i would definitely get an emachine. they have a desktop on their website, with a nvidia nforce 2 chipset, AMD 3000+ 512mb pc2700 ddr, and an available AGP slot, for 649.99. I dont think ive EVER seen an hp with an AGP slot. EMachines are a prime choice

It's a damned fine laptop...althuogh it took me 3 to get one without dead pixels.

and now that it's down to 1300 after rebates...it's an even sweeter deal.

I reformatted it yesterday and have XP Pro on it.

It games beautifully. Ut2003 in widescreen = unf.
Quake 3 w/ widescreen + FOV 150 = unf unf.

:)

I was overly paranoid about buying an emachines...and rightly so...the first 2 I grabbed had dead pixels...but the third was fine.

and their tech support is REALLY GOOD. I've called them 5 times just to ask various questions (memory, manual control of CPU speed, hotkeys, drivers for an XP Pro install, etc.)
the longest I waited was....1 minute.
Each time, I got a person that was easily understandable, had no accent, and was able to help me solve the problem/answer the question in under 5 minutes.

Dell can't touch that. we were on the phone for 45 minutes with Dell Tech support to find drivers for a god damned broadcomm nic for his Inspiron 1100.

Originally posted by Psyker
Anyone find it odd that its a top of the line laptop, clearly for the computer geek/business and yet it come with XP Home?

maybe because its not targeted at business since its sold through bestbuy and it would add 100 bucks on to the sticker. What does PRO do for the average person that justifys 100 dollars. Business I can understand. But its better to have the few "pay" for an upgrade then jack everyone else up at least 79 bucks. Just my opinion though not ripping on you just trying to answer the question. If I could I would buy it without an os to save money.

As to it being an e-machine it really doesn't matter since there are only like 2 major notebook makers, very rarely is it done in house.

I have the M6805, its a great laptop for $1300, the screen is nice and its got power to do all the things I need to do.

Only thing I plan to change is the 4200rpm/2mb cache/60gb for a 7200rpm/16mb cache/50gb drive

eMachines are made to be upgraded, I own a couple, 2 T1840's and 1 W2785, and the W comes with the mobo's book, and everything...If you open up the case, they cover everything you don't upgrade...

Also, I do Video Editing on it, so it's not just a Web Browser...Very good company nowadays

Originally posted by cmurda21
Like some guy said above, he recommends emachines to his clients b/c there good pcs for email and internet, but not gaming and video editing.

I said that's what my clients are looking for, they want something to look up their e-mail and do some web browsing as well as other basic apps. You cannot say that an eMachine is a "hardcore" gaming/video editing machine, no matter what model you purchase, i'll need some upgrading (mostly in the video card area) to become anything like that. There really aren't very many options for a "hardcore" gaming/video editing pre-built machines out there, most of those type of people build their own. Don't get me wrong, eMachines are AWESOME little boxes, they do EVERTHING that 90% of people need them to do, and more. Like i said before, they're #1 in my book for recomendatios to our clients

Originally posted by dbwillis
I have the M6805, its a great laptop for $1300, the screen is nice and its got power to do all the things I need to do.

Only thing I plan to change is the 4200rpm/2mb cache/60gb for a 7200rpm/16mb cache/50gb drive
whoa notebooks have 16mb caches eh

thats killer

its nice that they finally got 7200rpms now :D

killer video card. :D

Back