Hot deal on a Computer Desk / Chair?

What size desk and what type of chair are you looking for? The cheap "task chair" type is usually around $20 on sale at various stores. If you wait for a sale, the better "leather manager chair" can go to around $30-$40 after rebate or coupon.

For the cheapest usable adult sized set, I've seen smallish wood desks and chairs at Fry's for $50 on sale. Ikea or one of the office store weekly ads or web sites (check the clearance sections) are good options. At Fatwallet you can set up alerts on certain keywords so you get emails when a hot deal is posted.

Looking for a pretty plain desk really, not too big either, just something cheap thats not crap. :)

As for the chair, pretty much the same. I don't think there is a local fry's here though (just moved to Boise, Idaho)

if there are some local businesses closing down, you might be able to get something there. I know I have a desk that's great, which I got from a business 15 or so years ago....it was supposed to be temporary (I needed a desk and it was one less thing to toss in storage for them), but clearly they never got it back.

It's a bit beat up these days, and it's a bear to move (even when broken down), but there's not much it couldn't hold.

I think you'd have even better luck getting chairs that way. Either way, I'd look for used office furniture. I think most office chairs at businesses are better than what you get at retail...but then I don't like the giant leather lounge chairs that are all too common at Office Depot and the cheaper ones are definitely not as good as the various chairs I've sat in my jobs.

Ikea vika amon tabletop+4 of the curry legs=40 dollars+tax, then office depot 50 dollar chair(cloth ones fall apart easy though, go for the leather, or cover it with a blanket)

Officemax has full leather chairs for 40 dollars at least 3 times a year.

I found a nice desk on sale at officemax, its $100 vs $170. Kinda cheesy feeling though but should work if I can't find anything else. It has a huge keyboard tray too which is nice, since I got a G15 as a gift and its huge.

Ikea vika amon tabletop+4 of the curry legs=40 dollars+tax, then office depot 50 dollar chair(cloth ones fall apart easy though, go for the leather, or cover it with a blanket)

Thanks for the idea, I didn't think to do a build your own ikea table. I looked at their desks and didn't like them much but the tables might work, off to go look :)

if there are some local businesses closing down, you might be able to get something there. I know I have a desk that's great, which I got from a business 15 or so years ago....it was supposed to be temporary (I needed a desk and it was one less thing to toss in storage for them), but clearly they never got it back.

It's a bit beat up these days, and it's a bear to move (even when broken down), but there's not much it couldn't hold.

I think you'd have even better luck getting chairs that way. Either way, I'd look for used office furniture. I think most office chairs at businesses are better than what you get at retail...but then I don't like the giant leather lounge chairs that are all too common at Office Depot and the cheaper ones are definitely not as good as the various chairs I've sat in my jobs.

I've been looking around but haven't found much in the way of nice used desks.

I've been looking around but haven't found much in the way of nice used desks.

You'd probably have to know somebody....and unless they were going out of business, all furniture would likely be a bit worn. But it'd probably be good stuff. Then again, I got this before most desks were attached to the cubicle walls.

Back