Help w/ ASUS A8V (no POST)

HC77

Weaksauce
Hi,
I initially posted this as a followup to another problem I was having with a Windows XP install on this motherboard, but as it has turned into a no POST problem, I decided to try and ask here:

I just built a new rig w/ the following specs:
CM Praetorian
ASUS A8V
A64 3500+ (Using Type 44 Thermal Grease)
PCP&C Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe PSU
2x512MB Corsair Twin-X 3200C2PRO
WD740GD SATA Raptor HDD
Plextor 712A DVD Burner
Plextor 5xx CD Burner
ATI AIW 9800 PRO
SB AUDIGY2ZS PLATINUM PRO

Initially - I set the system up and could get it to boot, but Windows would not continue installing past the driver loading screens (I was using a USB keyboard, and it seemed as if the built in USB hub kept turning itself off at that point. - Legacy support was enabled, and I tried PnP OS both enabled and disabled with luck.)

After several iterations of this, I decided to recheck the jumpers on the HDD - and it turns out the Raptor was shipped to me in the non-default jumper position. So I powered the system down, unplugged the PSU from the mains, and turned it off with the switch. Changed the jumper position from the fourth column the the right, to the third column (as in the diagram)

I plugged the PSU back into the mains, turned on the switch and hit the power button on the case.

The CPU HSF, in addition to the case fan plugged into the mobo header pins (CPU FAN and PWR FAN respectively) spun for an instant, then nothing. The green power LED on the motherboard does light. When I try and cycle the case power switch, the fans spin again for an instant, but then nothing else happens.

As far as I know, I did not intentionally change anything else - the reset and power buttons on the case were correctly wired, and I did get speaker tones when the system would boot. However - I have never heard the ASUS POST speech messages (which I thought were enabled)...

I reset the CMOS with the reset jumper, and had the same results.

I removed the HSF & CPU, cleaned them off and reapplied an even, thin coat of type 44 - there is no grease on the CPU pins, or in the socket, and there is good thermal contact between the cpu and heatsink. Tried to fire the system up again with the same results.

I'm waiting on a return call from ASUS tech support, but I'm hoping that someone here will be familiar with this.

Also hoping that I don't have a dead mobo/cpu :(

Thanks in Advance.

Back