Help out a newb (wireless)

E

esq

Hey guys.. I'm likely getting an older IBM Thinkpad (not high powered, just for school, etc). The one thing I would like to have is wireless internet for it, and it's not on this model. Is something like this easy enough to install afterwards?

forgive me, I'm not laptop/wireless savvy. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Originally posted by esq
Hey guys.. I'm likely getting an older IBM Thinkpad (not high powered, just for school, etc). The one thing I would like to have is wireless internet for it, and it's not on this model. Is something like this easy enough to install afterwards?

forgive me, I'm not laptop/wireless savvy. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

If it's got a PCMCIA slot, just buy a PCMCIA 802.11b or 802.11g card, install the drivers, configure, and go.

Originally posted by skritch
If it's got a PCMCIA slot, just buy a PCMCIA 802.11b or 802.11g card, install the drivers, configure, and go.
I'm not sure if it does at the moment, I'll have to check. If not?

cheers, thanks

Originally posted by esq
I'm not sure if it does at the moment, I'll have to check. If not?

cheers, thanks

If not, you may be out of luck. I *THINK* I've seen a USB-based external 802.11b adapter once, but if the notebook doesn't have PCMCIA, it almost certainly doesn't have USB, because the latter was introduced after the former.

If the notebook has an internal mini-PCI slot, and if the notebook originally had an option for internal wireless (and thus has an internal antenna), you could buy an internal mini-PCI 802.11b or 802.11g card off of eBay and install it. You'll need the service manual for your notebook to do that, tho.

Back