Help me with this overclockin mumbo jumbo once more ...

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
I need help making my memory speed go to its native speed ...

XP2200+
14 * 140 @ 1.725 v core
Prime 95 ran for a day... no errors

When I boot up it says that my memory is at 280 Dual Channel Enabled
So I am wondering if there is some setting that I can make in the bios that would keep the memory around its intended speed 333 (pc2700) and keep the FSB on the CPU at 140 ?

I noticed that there are little fractions where you select the speed of the memory. What are those for ?
How can I use them to my advantage?
Any suggestions would help...see sig for complete computer information ...

Yeah, you need to use those fractions. A 1:1 ratio means that if your bus is at 140MHz then your ram is at the same speed (or 280MHz DDR). A 5:4 or 3:2 ratio would run the ram at a fraction of the FSB speed. The first value being the FSB and the second the ram speed. So 3:2 would be 93MHz (or 187Mhz DDR). These will help you push your CPU higher if it is limited by RAM.

Why not lower the multiplier on your CPU and raise the bus speed up to the specs on your ram? You could go with 12 x 166 which would raise your total clock speed only 30 MHz but would bring your ram up to the DDR333 spec. If that doesn't prove stable try 11.5 x 166 which would be a 40 MHz drop in total clock speed - but I'll bet the increased performance from speeding up the bus/ram would more than make up for it...

12 *166 did not work
hell the computer did not even post
I need to figure out the right ratio

well ratio can only help you if you're trying to push the mem too hard. Try putting the multi at something rediculously low like 8 and make sure you can post there. If so then you need to look at cooling/voltage for stability - not memory divisor...

Someone check my line on this, I don't want to be spewing false information here...

My cooling solution is great ... I had 1.8v once and it did not get any warmer then 44C ...

but umm ill try something out

Back