Help me upgrade a vintage 2020 quiet build

karmasoft

Weaksauce
The GTX 1660 ti in this build runs loudly during gaming. Otherwise the system is silent and stable.

Wondering if there's any easy upgrade path to a better graphics card? Ideally would leave other components as-is, but willing to do gentle upgrades.

Budget: $300ish

PC Parts Picker link

3060/ti or 6700/xt those are around $300 and will be ok with your psu

Before and after ...

before and after.jpg

Congrats on your graphics upgrade! Although the Turing architecture which powered the GTX 1660 Ti was sound enough for its 2018 vintage, it is now becoming a bit long on the tooth by current standards. On top of that, you doubled the amount of VRAM on your GPU so that it would be ready for more complex games. For those reasons alone I upgraded the GPU in my secondary mini-ITX Ryzen 7 3700X build from a 4 GB GTX 1650 SUPER to an RX 6700 XT. And that's not to mention that my previous GTX 1650 SUPER's single fan howls annoyingly in Windows even during idle as its fan speed could not be adjusted lower than 59% of maximum speed no matter what.

And this coming from the mind of someone who has been an Nvidia-exclusive user since the late-Fermi period.

Last edited:
The GTX 1660 ti in this build runs loudly during gaming. Otherwise the system is silent and stable.

In general, I would try to tweak the case fan speed curves so that the video card's fans wouldn't need to ramp up as much. I much prefer to hear the lower pitch noise from the bigger fans above the higher pitch from the video card's fans.

Then again, I've got a reverse motherboard mesh setup with a 140mm fan aimed directly at the video card. The mileage with your case my vary.

Back