HELP ME PLEASE-big install problems

rj2

Limp Gawd
this is my 1st ati card i have used.ati 9800 pro.i installed win xp . i first noticed sometihng after the install,when the screen comes up during windows startup there was little lines thru some parts of the screen. installed the new 4.7 drivers.you could see little lines running thru the icons at 800x600 resolution.i changed to 1024x768 16 bit,and it is terrible
lines everywhere.what the hell is going on.i could sure use some help here.
all chipset drivers etc have been installed properly & the monitor drivers,which is a crt monitor.thnx for help

It's used? Sounds like you got a bad card, try it in another system if you can, to see if the problems persist. Dangers of buying used stuff.

i bought it off ebay.he said not used,and it still has the ati 3 year warranty.i submitted the card info at ati,and it came up as accepted

okay.a little progress.i switched to 1024x768 32bpp.better now,but there are still faint horizontal bands the height of the monitor.when i access the display properties the windows theme box has a lot of garbles multicolored lines

Like I said, try it in another system if you can. If ATI will allow it, try to RMA.

might just be visual tearing on the monitor enable vsync and turn resolution UP to 1600x1200 at 70 -85 hz 32bit color and see if it becomes MORE stable....at lower resulotion the card could be pumping too much for your system to keep up with.

i am not sure i follow.what do you mean by pumping too much.my monitor is like 3 years old .i dont think it will go that high of a resolution

That same shit happened to me, I had to do a "repair" thing on Windows, worked good after that.

1st make sure drivers for monitor and vidcard are new. turn up resolution as high as it can go and enable V-Sync. then set your monitors refresh rate as high as it can on that resolution....this will allow the card to work a bit harder and slow it down some...if it still tears try turning the quality settings right up to slow it down a bit more.....if it STILL tears either look for a new vidcard or monitor.

Back