Help! Hard Drive's dead?

WolverineWizard

Weaksauce
So I woke up from my nap and got my pc off the screen saver, and tried to copy something from one folder to another. Wasn't copying, saw that nothing was happening, so I restarted. Next thing I know, I'm getting disk boot failures upon boot up.

Went into the bios, and saw that it can't even see my HD. Tried switching IDE cables, etc., but no go...did it die on me?

Specs in Sig

By any chance do you have a Fujitsu hard drive? :(

Fujitsu drives have a 100% failure rate. Talk to your supplier and get them to send you a cheque for the drive. Don't request a replacement, just get the cheque, usually it's worth it!

I ask this because at the store I work, the first thing we do is check if it's a Fujitsu drive (we never sold them, but a lot of people do) and we had 3 or 4 fail on us during heavy file transfers in the store, and had a few machines in with just plain dead drives.

They were all Fujitsu drives between 15 and 40 gb.

nah, it's a WD...you know, i'mi not sure if it's spinning or not. I think it tries...once in awhile i hear a clicking sound like it's trying to do something

sigh

luckily we have a deals forum, lol

Sounds like you're hosed. I assume you've tried it in another system with the same results correct?

All HDDs, like humans have a 100% failure rate

eventually :p

the most imporant thing right now is to try to get it recognized by the BIOS, its possible that there was a power event or other electronic failure (electromigration) and that the circuit board is dead, so back to Xeese's question, can you hear it spin when power is supplied?

check all cables yet again, including the power, try a different power connector

the Hard Restart can screw up critical system files, but if you cant get it recognized in the BIOS one way or another there are few options (a lab, or replacing the circuit board with a compatible one, and that doesnt necessarily mean just the basic model, as there are revisions within a model line)

Originally posted by Ice Czar
All HDDs, like humans have a 100% failure rate

eventually :p

the most imporant thing right now is to try to get it recognized by the BIOS, its possible that there was a power event or other electronic failure (electromigration) and that the circuit board is dead, so back to Xeese's question, can you hear it spin when power is supplied?

check all cables yet again, including the power, try a different power connector

the Hard Restart can screw up critical system files, but if you cant get it recognized in the BIOS one way or another there are few options (a lab, or replacing the circuit board with a compatible one, and that doesnt necessarily mean just the basic model, as there are revisions within a model line)

great suggestion... i've noticed with WDs, they all use the same circuit board (at least, they're identical). I've successfully swapped a 120jb card with a 120bb board and it worked great.

well, the bios can see it now, for some reason, but i still get a disk boot failure , so i'm thinking the hd got corrupted somehow....

oy. guess i'm headed to officemax tomorrow

Back