Help! Formatted and now high CPU usage doing anything CD/DVD

collegeboy69us

Supreme [H]ardness
sup,

this is stumping me, did a routine format tonight, reinstalled XP professional on my Nforce2 board, got all my software loaded back on, i go to burn a DVD and even in 2.4X mode im getting horrible speed, lagg, 100% CPU usage, and whatever, anyways i let it finish and start doing some tests, ANY time im reading, writing or whatever to my DVDRW drive i get 100% cpu usage.

I'm stumped as how to fix this, everything was working smoothly in this department before i formatted.

Please advise as this is driving me absolutly insane!

Jeff

well..

this DVD burner is attached to my onboard RAID/ATA controller.... normally i know how to check to see if DMA is enabled, but when i go to manage computer -> device manager , SCSI and RAID controllers -> ITE IT8212 ATA Controller , in there are no options to see if its under DMA.... usually DMA is on by default when you install XP right.

Need more suggestions, on this

thanks

If you're not using the latest drivers, then you can try to install the latest drivers.

Something you could do after that, is while in device manager, uninstall the controller and reboot. When windows re-installs the controller, it may put the burner back in DMA mode.

did you load the chipset drivers?

also, is it plugged into the raid controller, or the standard ide controller

sometimes plugging an optical device into the raid controller can cause issues

Back