Help, burned 2 boards and don't know how!?

fac

Gawd
i was building a value system and i first installed a 256 crucial ram, geforce fx5200, and an xp1800+ on a biostar m7ncd. i turned it on and it made a whirling sound like it's not getting enough juice. i tried to locate where the sound was coming from but before i could figure it out i saw smoke come out and the smell of burnt electronics from one of the circuits around the cpu socket. it all happened so quick and my new nforce2 board was dead. you think newegg will refund it?:(

i pulled all the parts out and inspected the xp1800+ and it seemed to be fine and no sign of burning. although, there was a spec of hardened material next to one of the cores corner that i didn't noticed before. but i checked both sides of the cpu and couldn't find a trace of burn, it appeared to be fine. anyway, not to be deterred, i figured i'll give it another shot with an old k7s5a that's just laying around. i installed the same ram, video card, and cpu on this board. this time i used a different power supply and didn't install the board inside the case. i just sat the board on top of the box and an anti-static bag. i turned the power on and no weird sound this time but the board started smoking again! aargh!! and it burned around the cpu socket again!! almost the same spot... coincedence?? anyone knows what's going on? i just killed 2 boards in a couple of hours, wtf!!:(

try another processor...... i saw some processor burning boards before.....

that's what i was thinking also. dammm!! i have to buy a cpu, this budget systems is making me spend more than i wanted to. :(

What are you using for a PSU and what are its specs? Sounds like maybe a regulator within the PSU may have given out causing excessive amps\voltage to be sent to the board. Do you have another PSU you can try? I wouldn't try that one again IMHO.

Regards, Szandor

Are you using the metal screw in risers to mount your motherboards? If you are check to see if they all line up with the holes on your motherboard, you may have one out of place, causing a short in the boards. And even though the second one, was installed outside of a case, the damage may already be done to the conponents.

Back