Hell hath froze over?

N

NecessaryEvil

I bought an emachines laptop.

It doesn't suck.

I called Emachines Tech support twice today.
call #1: dealt with finding XP Drivers. on hold for 1 minute. Tops.
Techie answers. He speaks English. FLUENTLY. Even has a southern accent that's easily understandable!
Tells me that the drivers for the 6805 series aren't on the website yet, they should be out next week. And, tells me that I should find the drivers on disc 2 of my restore discs.
WTF?
a clear, concise answer. and accurate too! from dialing to hang up was 5 minutes!

call #2: dealt with manually setting CPU speed. on hold for 1 minute.
Techie answers. Another native English speaker?! no fucking way!
Isn't sure about an answer as to a way to manually set speeds, but tells me that the "always on" setting will set to max speed.
I check it out, and he's correct. (I'd been running in presentation mode prior). Tells me to check AMD's website...I find out later I'm looking for PowerNow instead of Speedstep, but it was an accurate enough answer to get me headed in the right direction.

contrast this to the call to Dell support of several months ago where they wouldn't provide me with NDIS drivers for my dad's inspiron 1100, basically admitting that they wouldn't support their own hardware. + runaround + outsourced indian guy.

When did Emachines stop sucking the major cockle? I'm most impressed...I've not had this much success with OEM tech support...well......ever?

I'm wondering if somehow I've stepped into a parallel dimension, where OEMs provide people with good support.

I've had troubles dealing with every OEM I've come in contact with (Compaq, HP, Dell, eMachines), so this really really surprises me.

Maybe they realized that customers like people who help.

do hamburgers eat people there too?

that sounds pretty awesome though. although i do hear that they are teaching the tech supports in india to speak with a midwest accent.

Dell has lost their focus in the quality of their products and support. Their resting on their name, which is what's killing Gateway. That's why we've overtaken Dell in the PC market in units sold and in customer support satisfaction. I've only caled our external customer support a few times, but never had any trouble. Same with ATI and Western Digital. Everyone else has been a hassle.

Emachines might go down, if they send there tech call centers to India, like Dell...its always the smaller companies that help you out the most. cuase they need you the most to stay in business.

Originally posted by djnes
Dell has lost their focus in the quality of their products and support. Their resting on their name, which is what's killing Gateway. That's why we've overtaken Dell in the PC market in units sold and in customer support satisfaction. I've only caled our external customer support a few times, but never had any trouble. Same with ATI and Western Digital. Everyone else has been a hassle.

HP, that is?

finallyhappens.jpg

HP selling more? Better computers? right.

Last time I looked that was far from being the case.

My experience with dell support was I always got a friendly indian guy, either that or someone who spoke understandable english and they were always glad to send someone over and service anything that needed it. Downtime was short because of in house service.

However I've heard the horror stories of Dell support. I have experienced many Apple horror stories myself, so I can attest to their support being quite poor these days.

Id sure like an answer from Emachines on the whole "speed" issue. BestBuy and Circuit City are saying it runs at 2.0mhz, and yet the site says 1.8mhz.

Who is right? And why the confusion?

dammit, someone get a mod.

this shouldn't be in mobile computing

this wasn't about my laptop

this was about Emachines not sucking the cockle.

Originally posted by scatpack
Id sure like an answer from Emachines on the whole "speed" issue. BestBuy and Circuit City are saying it runs at 2.0mhz, and yet the site says 1.8mhz.

Who is right? And why the confusion?

emachines is right.

the regular AMD64 3000 is a 2ghz w/ 512k cache
the mobile AMD64 3000 is a 1.8 w/ 1mb cache

EMachines did right by my cousin, who bought a refurbished system of theirs.

They waived a fee thing for some antivirus prog that they have available to their customers and gave it to my cousin for free when she got nailed by this nasty virus recently.

I wasn't too sure about her purchasing it but seeing she's had nothing but great help from them I guess I can't complain. It just means less driving for me to go fix it myself. Before she had it I was there every week on my days off to find out what in the hell went wrong (again) with her old HP system.

Oddly enough even with all the great care she gave both machines the HP just refused to play nice while her eMachines one has only given her trouble with outdated software from her HP.

it's strange to think of Emachines as not being a cringe-worthy system.

I just play UT2003 on my laptop, and other than keyboard issues (I'll need a dedicated keyboard for gaming...I keep hitting the wrong keys), it has handled wonderfully.

It's amazing...this laptop I have now is nothing like the emachines I've worked on in the past...

Back