Heavy RTS game for tablet in Windows 8

BDS23

Limp Gawd
Windows 8 is coming. I know it, you know it, we all know it. And we know it's coming mainly for the tablet/slate platform. Lately I've been thinking that RTS (Real-Time Strategy) games are better far off in a touchscreen interface, say Company of Heroes. We all know RTS games are just graphically fancy maps that interacts and a flat touch-screen interface can simulate that map. I think finger gestures works well in this conditions (maps). So what do you guys think? Can heavy RTS games (CoH, SCII, etc...) be somewhat enjoyable in a tablet form factor?

In the case of CoH and DoW, no, because to be proficient at those games, you really need to be using keyboard hotkeys (in my case I think I had keyboard macros as well, for frequently-used actions that normally took 2 keystrokes like building turrets or fortifications on points). They might be somewhat more "enjoyable" to play with a tablet, but against a serious opponent, I imagine you'll get dominated.

That's not to say there aren't games out there that aren't better suited for tablet. Crayon Physics Deluxe, for example, seems almost made for tablets in mind.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean you can't efficiently cram icons for macros across the tablet screen. I think it'll be more enjoyable if games like CoH uses a 4000 x 4000 map and smaller units so that the games emphisizes more on the slow but casual 'strategy' part than on the fast and frantic 'microing' part. Since most tablet players are usually casual I think CoH or any other RTS in that form factor would work out. I also figured out that using an external GPU like the Sony Vaio Z could help in rendering the graphics, assuming Light Peak is at hand.

Back