HD seen by bios but not XP

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Need some help with a 60gb maxtor hd. Im using it as a slave backup drive in XP. The bios sees the drive and XP disk manager sees the drive, however in my computer it dosn't show up.
I've tried putting the drive onto the secondary channel with no luck. The drive dosn't seem to have been assigned a drive letter. Wierd though that it shows up in disk manager but not my computer. Any ideas? Thx in advance.

You need to assign it a drive letter using Disk Manager. It's probably unpartitioned space right now.

The drive already partitioned, formatted and showing as active in XP. Just theres no drive letter assigned. Its a fat32 but that should not matter in XP.

Can you see this hd in hardware/device manager?

You might want to check out all of your bios settings to make sure you don't have anything screwy in there.

Second thing I would do use use Disk Manager so see if you can partion a part of the hd and assign it a letter to see if it is at all possible to assign any kind of letter to this drive.

Lastly, I would format and use NTFS or reinstall windows with this drive installed already. Not the prefered option but a last resort. Note: update mb drivers just in case it is a mb problem or flash the bios maybe?

[edit] typos :D

Go into computer management, then disk management. Assign a drive letter to it and it should now show up.

*edit*
neh i read your post wrong, did you try assigning a drive letter to it though?

Originally posted by Shyne151
Go into computer management, then disk management. Assign a drive letter to it and it should now show up.

*edit*
neh i read your post wrong, did you try assigning a drive letter to it though?

Start > Run > (type) diskmgmt.msc > whats it reported as?
if it empty then simply repartition and reformat it again from their it will be assigned a letter

alternately

Start>Run>(Type) Diskmgmt.msc>ActionButton>RescanDisks>RClick the disk graphic (not the partition graphics) where it says Disk 1 Foreign, click Import Foreign Disks>Follow the instructions

;)

To move disks to another computer

PS You more than likely have a basic disk
dont "upgrade :rolleyes: to dynamic disks
unless you fully understand the consequences

If a drive was originally initialized in a different XP install you will probably need to disable simple file sharing and take ownership to access your files and folders (this for moving HDDs inbetween OSs)

Windows XP Professional File Sharing
Windows XP Simple File Sharing
HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP

Back