Having a problem with Linksys router.

cubanB

n00b
Hey, I've heard great things about this site. Maybe you guys can help me out.

Recently I bought a dlink wireless-B router and wireless PCI card. I had one computer set up as the hub/base using a hard wire and one other computer across the room using the wireless card. After numerous poor signal quality connections to the wireless computer and couple of tech calls, I decided to take these back and exchanged them for the linksys wireless-B router and wireless PCI card.

Now, I have everything hooked up right, but I cannot get an internet signal on the base computer (I haven't even tried the wireless one yet.) However, if I plug the other computer (the wireless one) into the cable modem and router it gets online just fine. Same as my Xbox. I can plug the Xbox into the router and I can get online. It's just when I use the one computer that I don't get an internet signal. I've tried all the ports too. The light for the port just blinks...very slowly. The port lights for xbox and the other PC blink really fast, almost solid yellow.

I'm completely at a loss. Linksys tech support has been no help. I just don't understand how that one computer won't connect. I thought that maybe there was some software or settings that the dlink router left on there. Is that possible? It was working fine with the dlink. I plugged the modem into the router and the router into the computer. Now when I do this for the Linksys, I don't get anything.

Any help you guys could give me would me greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

1st scenerio
cable modem -> router -> computer 1 = no internet signal

2nd scenerio
cable modem -> router -> computer 2 = internet signal

Just curious as to why one computer would work fine and the other would not. Computer 1 was the computer that was hooked up directly to my old dlink router. So I thought maybe the dlink router left settings on computer 1 that might be causing my problem.

The computer that works with the new router (computer 2) is actaully going to be the wireless one. So i'd prefer not to hard wire that one to the router. I want to use computer 1 as the hard wired computer.

Hope this helps.

Back