Hardware Recommendations

antoniohawk

Limp Gawd
This will be my first time building a PC which would also mean my first time building a HTPC. I've been looking around the internet and have seen that the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 and the fanless ATI 9600 are the way to go. As for other components, I'm pretty lost. What does everyone suggest for the following functions.

Watching DVDs
TiVo-like capabilites for digital cable
Minimal gaming, probably none though
Wireless network to mp3s in other room

I have never actually used a TiVo, but have heard that it records as you go. I would like the ability to save specific shows to the hard drive, so that I can watch them later. It would be great to be able to also be watching tv and rewind a movie that's playing on HBO to the beginning.

You might want to check into getting two 250s, I have two and I can't think of a better way to watch tv.

Get a large HD, use what case you want, look under the sticky, do you want a DVD drive or a DVD burner? anyways you'll want to read this, you'll want 512mb of memory if using WinXP, CPU is up to you same with the motherboard again look under the sticky for more info :)
For keyboard/ mouse you might want to read this review: http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=gyration_gt_1

What does another 250 do? I think that I'll be going with a dvd burner, so that I could burn some of these episodes to make a boxed set for myself. As I am very new to building computers, I have no idea of the difference between motherboards and cpus, so I'm not sure how I should decide. I will most definitely be using XP, though I'm wondering if Pro is necesarry for this kind of setup. As for memory, I have read that 2 sticks of 256 will be sufficient, as you have mentioned. In terms of hard drive space, how much do you think would be enough? Thanks for all of your help.

Two cards for: one watching Live TV, recording one channel OR just recording two different channels and watching TV whenever you want to.

I have a 120GB drive and it is pretty much full, I'd get two drives, one 80GB for Windows and Apps and music, and 120 or larger for recording to. My 120 has three partitions: 10GBs for music (full), 20GBs for Windows/Apps/Downloads (6GBs left) and 90GBs for recording (I have to get a DVD burner just for this drive).

I'm using Home but I haven't noticed anything that would make me think that I need Pro.

The main question to be asked here is....how much are you willing to spend? You can put together a fully functioning rig for $500 or you can spend a $1000. Also remember that 99% of your building related questions would be better answered in general hardware, but since its HTPC related we'll take a swing at it ;)

I'll operate under the assumption that you want a blend of quality/price/performance and that you'll be buying a PVR-250 (smart choice).

Motherboard: A micro-atx sized Nforce2 motherboard. I use the Shuttle MN31N since its featurefilled and has Soundstorm (realtime Dolby digital encoding).

Cpu: Harder to pick, but the budget/performance winner would probably be a Barton XP2500+.The stock heatsink ought to work fine but an aftermarket one will be quieter. Ask away if you're confused or have other ideas.

Memory: 2 x 256 pc2700 OR 2 x 256 pc3200 if you can find it similarly priced, stick with name brands like kingston/corsair/crucial/geil etc etc

Sound: This can be a long answer but it depends on whats built-in on your motherboard. Some mobo's have crap, some have SoundStorm, which is preferable. If your motherboard has crap sound then just pick up that Chaintech 7.1 from newegg for $23 since it will make music sound brilliant. If you're confused as to whether your motherboard has crap sound, ask us before buying.

Video: another hard one to answer. Some mobo's have built-in video for VGA (some have tv-out built-in too). Otherwise you're looking at the Radeon 9600 (non-SE model!). If you're not going to game on it (or minimal at low settings) then pick up a much cheaper GeForce FX5200 since they supposedly have high quality TV-out onboard.

Hard drive: Go into our [H] deals forum on the latest jumbo sized hard drive deals. Once you start storing video, you can never have enough HD space. 160gb and above are recommended. Try not to pay more than $.60 cents a gig if you can.

Case: This is a personal preference choice but ask away if your're worried about buying junk. Check out the Antec Aria since they seem to be a perfect compromise of quality/size/features.

Nows its time to rest my fingers. Hopefully i gave you some idea where to start :)

I have an A7N266-VM/AA that made for a great HTPC board (I've upgraded to a A7N8X-E Deluxe) that I could sell you for a good price, PM if your interested or want some details.

Thanks a bunch SJetski71 for laying all of that out for me. I'm interested in any mobo at the moment, so I'd be happy to see the specs for yours CrimandEvil. :)

Not trying to pimp crimeandevil's sale on ya but his Asus Nforce1 mobo is a good workhorse and still a highly viable HTPC solution, heck it has onboard VGA and tv-out so you can hold off a video card purchase until you test out its visual quality(?) It's onboard sound is high quality too (SoundStorm).

The features of this mobo alone ought to save you a lot of money. You can always upgrade anything on it later if you so prefer...

Yeah it's a great board, I only upgraded because I need more PCI slots but I was going to use it and build another HTPC with it too :)

My pm box is all nice and tidy now! :) I'm not really sure what that thing that you guys are linking to does, so I'll let you duke it out. :p

[edit]Someone wants $90 for an unopened AMD Athlon XP 2600+. Is that a good deal? It works with your board, right? I have two cases in mind, an old stereo receiver, or a custom wooden case that would match my t.v. cabinet. They both sound good, and both have their own complications/perks, what do you guys think?[/edit]

I see a few 2600+s going for around $75, I think that the one your asking about might be a Mobile 2600 (there prices go for around that much).
I found this one on Pricewatch but I'm personally unfamiliar with them so check out their Resellers rating.

I'll see how low this guy will go and then buy the one that you linked if he doesn't accept something low enough.

If it is a Mobile processor then the board won't work with it, Mobiles default down to a multi of 8 making the clock speed something like 800mhz. The board doesn't let you OC (just some memory adjustments) but you can do a mod (search here for "JEN" I believe) but it requires some soldering skills.
What's the info on the 2600? (IE is it a "Barton", "Throughbred", "Thorton" etc.)

As far as I know, it's a Throughbred. Is the Throughbred the only core for the Athlon XP 2600+, because that is what his is?

[edit]By the way, he's now selling it for $70 shipped.[/edit]

They have the 2600 in a couple of different cores, $70 is a great price.

Not sure, I used a 1900+ Palamino (however you spell it) with it. I was going to upgrade it too a 2400+ after I upgrade my desktop to a Mobile chip (or something like that).

Ok, well at least I know for sure now. I still haven't sent your money, sorry about that, but I've been busy and I will have to use one of my parent's checking accounts.

Back