hard drive problems

Trip1

n00b
Ok, well i got home from school a couple days ago and my step mom told me that the comp upstairs froze on her, so she turned off the switch in the back(instead of doing ctrl alt del she just turned it right off) now, when we start up the computer we get the screen before the loading screen of windows XP.. It's like a horizontal line on the bottom of the screen that usually loads quite fast. Anyways it gets stuck on this line and just freezes.

So i put in the windows XP CD and booted into it.. and it read the HD as "Format type: Unknown" and there was only free space on the HD. It's a very old computer, and the HD is only like 6 gigs but the stuff that was on there was very important. Now im pretty sure the only way to fix this is to format, but i just wanted to post here to make sure theres nothing else i can do..

I was going to put the HD into another comp and try to read it from there, but one of my friends told me this might be a bad idea..

any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Try it in another comp. If windows setup doesn't see it, there isn't too much you can do in that machine

Partition Magic is pretty good at fixing things like this without destroying data. Good luck

Winternals Disk Commander worked wonders for a DeskStar 75GXP that lost the MBR on me. At least try the demo util and see if the software can see the data.

Back