Greybeard moving to Windows 10

bjgrifter

n00b
I haven't done an OS upgrade in awhile.

I did try Windows 10 when it first was available from an upgrade, didn't care for it at the time.
After firing up Steam to show my son some Jedi Knight games, I found that Steam wasn't going to work into next year.

My plan is to grab a 1-2TB drive and pop that in for the upgrade.

Where I'm not sure is if I can still use my Win 7 key, or can just grab one legitimately cheap. A Tom's Hardware Guide referred to Kinguin, but I'm out of the loop with having a family.

I considered going to Windows 11 and just be done with it, but I don't know if I can get a TPM 2.0 module for my MSI Z97 SLI Plus motherboard.

You can still use your key for 10 and 11. As for TPM.. just dl their ISO and use Rufus to create a usb, that will take the TPM requirement out for you.

I'd probably have this done in a day if I were single, but I'm now making the USB boot drive for Win 10.

Mother of Cröm, you're still using Windows 7!?!
I swore I'd never be out of touch with tech, but here I am. My kids have access to software we would've paid thousands for on a Pentium 3 1Ghz at the time.

My home life has become similar to my work life in that I can only take my firewall/network down in the middle of the night or else I’ll get an earful.

...I'm not sure is if I can still use my Win 7 key...
I finally moved to Win10 from Win7 last year, around September (this is also when I switched to Linux being my main OS). I used my Win7 Ultimate key to activate Win10 Pro no problem.

My home life has become similar to my work life in that I can only take my firewall/network down in the middle of the night or else I’ll get an earful.
This is true. Internet is life. My wife works from home and when I did too if the internet went down in the middle of the day the look was "fix this now or you are a useless ****". People have no patience in life for that sack of crap Murphy is and what he does to electronics.

Back