Greetings and the very start of my mod...

S

splinter3k

Hi all, been lurking for a while, lots of good information here. I just started with my first serious attempt, honestly it's more about having a clean case and cool look, I'm not terribly creative. So far major wire cleanup, a little sleeving, swapped out stock fans with LED fans, fan grills, thumb screws and some freehand OCD neatness. More to come, suggestions welcome, ran out of sleeving so there are still some bare wires floating around, but you get the idea, will finish soon.

niceprofile.jpg
sideshot.jpg
wiringzoom.jpg
sidelit.jpg
dooropen.jpg

Specs:

Intel 2.4B on D845GEBV2L
Win XP Pro/SP1
2x256MB Crucial DDR333
Leadtek GeForce FX5700
Audigy 2 ZS
2x WD 40GB HDD, 8MB cache
Lite On 16x/48x DVD/CD-RW
NEC MultiSync LCD 1765V
Klipcsh ProMedia GX-A 2.1

Probably going to bump the RAM to 1 Gig and upgrade the video prior to Doom3/Half Life 2, but overall I'm pretty happy.

Good start, I like the orange sleeving. Maybe you should take some of those stickers off... just my opinion though:D

wow, it looks really nice! that's your first attempt? well damn, good job.

questions/comments:
1. is that skull motif in red your work?
2. does that side pannel have a key to open it (that black section with some kind of socket area):eek: uber cool.
3. i really really like that fan grill (on the lower fan, below the Zalman (btw, nice choice with the Zalman;), that's Alu-Cu, right?))

Well, true about the stickers, they amuse me now, but I am sure one day they will bite it.

1. As for the skull, I wish that was my work. That's an applique from www.shatteredweb.com , select your design, select external applicaton and pick a color. I wanted something when you opened the door.

2. Yep, side panel has a key lock, although I am in and out so much I have yet to use it.

3. Yep cool fan grill, shuriken design I ordered from www.performance-pcs.com , but I have seen it other places.

And yep, Zalman Al-Cu, love it, with a little AS5 and that cooler I dropped 5 degrees load, 3 degrees idle.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

I like the look of my round IDE and floppy cables. They are UV sensative and give the case a neater appearance. Not saying yours isnt neatly organized. You have done an excellent job with your wires. Wish I could find the time to do it to mine. ;)

I like round cables too, but the add so much length to my cable run the actually make my case look more cluttered than folding stanard IDE ribbon cables. I haven't seen any place with say a 10" IDE cable with 3 connectors or I would switch.

Nice work. I couldn't decide what sleeving color to buy but I really like the orange in you're case. Where did you pick it up and what color was it called there? I've seen a few different variations of orange out there.

Originally posted by splinter3k
I like round cables too, but the add so much length to my cable run the actually make my case look more cluttered than folding stanard IDE ribbon cables. I haven't seen any place with say a 10" IDE cable with 3 connectors or I would switch.
I was going to say it looks like your case wiring is better off with flat IDE cables... even though it's practically blasphemy around here to have anything but rounded cables... lol

Too bad the black IDE cables are hard to come by, that would look perfect as it would match your case perfectly...

Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of the new thermaltakes but yours looks really good... I'm envious :cool:

Oooh, I would love some black IDE ribbon cables, I will have to go hunting for those, never even thought to look for such a thing.

Yep, I am a little annoyed with the latest Tt cases as well, a little too over the top for my taste. I actually had to remove some junk from mine, all the excess baggage from the HardCano (which is why there are case badges hiding those holes in the Cano's faceplate until I think of something useful to put there), I removed the aluminum backplate from the front door (big, heavy, shiny silver monstrosity that really added a ton of weight to the door), and the stock orange fans were a bit much. But I got it for like $70 from a local shop, so a little bit of work stripping out the junk didn't bother me, plus it's the roomiest case I have ever had to work in.

Thanks.

I guess you could vinyl die the insulation black. After all, it is a form of plastic :)

I've seen abit and asus branded black IDE cables bundled with some of their more expensive motherboards... I'll keep an eye out, but I've never seen them for sale individually.

Nice case ! ive the same one, but with the red alum in front....I noticed if you remove the metal screen on the side fan, it lowers the noise ALOT...

it probably would show off your fan grill more with just the clear fan under it,,.

Nice and clean, well done. Good way to start. A real big improvement would be to paint the interior. Look how it changed "Blue Fantasy"

beforepaint2.jpg

newinside.jpg

newfront.jpg

db, does that fan filter really create that much noise? I kind of like it cutting down on dust, but it is a little noisey for my taste.

Ice, I like that paint job, next time I upgrade motherboards I will have to seriously consider that. I've been trying to think of something to do with that space at the top of the window, that ugly no mans land with nothing but the power supply and back of the CD-ROM showing. Of course, I was also kicking around a new motherboard purchase this morning, so the paint job might come sooner than later. Nice wiring Ice, you have raised the bar for me:D

Heres a few more to get your modding jucies going......Keep in mind interior painting is a real bitch. You gotta be patient and expect to stratch it when you put stuff in it.

frontangle.jpg

badeofthenight.jpg

nightlady2.jpg

superexhaust.jpg

eyesoffantasy.jpg

Pimp your rig in your own thread man. This is his worklog. Lets not clutter it. :D (but some nice airbushing.. very nice)

Originally posted by SKiTLz
Pimp your rig in your own thread man. This is his worklog. Lets not clutter it. :D (but some nice airbushing.. very nice)
the nicest I've seen in a while... :cool:

Yep, that is nice airbrushing, I have neither the talent nor cash for that, but I am eyeing up one of those casewraps for just the side panel, we'll see how this case progresses over time.

Back