Grand Theft Auto IV Special Edition - Xbox 360 $78.84

This is the Special Edition, that retails for $89.99 everywhere else.

Nice find.

Everyone in this thread is an idiot except the OP, myself and the guy above me.

This is an amazing game that i will probably play until the next call of duty or halo comes out. I will probably never complete the main story either as this game is just that dang massive. I would pay $100 for it.

Its called a Special Edition for a reason. There are people who collect video games you know.

Just out of curiosity, do special edition games have extra resale value months or years later? :confused: I think when "Halo 3" came out last year, there were 3 flavors of that game, but I wonder if the extra rice w/ the special edition was really worth it, either "fun factor" wise or resale value wise.

Just out of curiosity, do special edition games have extra resale value months or years later? :confused: I think when "Halo 3" came out last year, there were 3 flavors of that game, but I wonder if the extra rice w/ the special edition was really worth it, either "fun factor" wise or resale value wise.

Some do, some don't. Depends on the quantity produced, demand, and age. Some older games are worth hundreds of dollars these days. FFVII, despite being produced in the millions and millions of numbers, is a pretty expensive game. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Suikoden II, and a few other games all go for over $100 at the low-end of the scale. Unopened copies for much higher. The MGS collection has the chance to be worth a lot of money 10-15 years down the road. The PC Bioshock Limited Edition goes for $70-80 on Ebay, when you can find it.

Some do, some don't. Depends on the quantity produced, demand, and age. Some older games are worth hundreds of dollars these days. FFVII, despite being produced in the millions and millions of numbers, is a pretty expensive game. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Suikoden II, and a few other games all go for over $100 at the low-end of the scale. Unopened copies for much higher. The MGS collection has the chance to be worth a lot of money 10-15 years down the road. The PC Bioshock Limited Edition goes for $70-80 on Ebay, when you can find it.

Thanks, I see. But seeing how GTA 4 is aiming for record sales, I'd think there'd be a ton of buyers getting even the Special Edition version. And when Gran Turismo 5 comes out later this year (assuming they also have multiple flavors), I bet their "special edition" will flood the market.

I remember some of those older games you mentioned that can still command a bit of a premium on EBay.

GTA4 SE also comes with extras like the duffel bag, safe deposit box, audio cd, and art book.

Its not just the game in a silver tin with a bonus DVD like many other SE have been in the past.

as a game collector i have noticed that the games that tend to go up in value are usually limited runs, and overlooked or underappreciated games that only get recognition well after they have been released.

the list a previous poster mentioned are a great example, and an example of the opposite effect, i have the final fantasy xii collectors edition and its not worth anything.

i think in the case of gta iv, you are gonna get some cool stuff, but its a mainstream title, its rare that mainstream titles go up in value, final fantasy vii being one of the notable exceptions.

marvel vs. capcom 2 goes for MINIMUM $80 if you can actually find the game. that's not just an ebay price either...in fact, it's actually the price you would pay should you find it at your local gamestop. ebay prices are actually higher than that sometimes. keep in mind that this price is for a standard edition game for any platform the game came out on (dreamcast, xbox, ps2). im unaware of any special editions of the game, but if there is one i'm sure it's even higher.

as a game collector i have noticed that the games that tend to go up in value are usually limited runs, and overlooked or underappreciated games that only get recognition well after they have been released.

the list a previous poster mentioned are a great example, and an example of the opposite effect, i have the final fantasy xii collectors edition and its not worth anything.

i think in the case of gta iv, you are gonna get some cool stuff, but its a mainstream title, its rare that mainstream titles go up in value, final fantasy vii being one of the notable exceptions.

Its a pity that the FFXII collectors ed never went up in value. I felt it was very well done. The tin case is really nice and even the History of Final Fantasy feature was neat, if a bit shallow.

While perhaps not special edition, a friend bought the Japanese version of the original Street Fighter back in the 1990s. That's the one that showed blood and vomit that was censored in the American version. He paid a fortune for it (over $50 at the time) and I bet it had great resale value, although EBay wasn't around back then. I'm just going by the fact that many of my friends had "Street Fighter", but we always wanted to go to his house and play the Japanese version.

Back