Good HSF for an Athlon 64, that would work also with Socket A?

carl67lp

Supreme [H]ardness
I'd like to get a new HSF for my current 1700+ as what I have is too loud (I have a 60mm Delta fan on a Thermalright SK6) and too...well, old.

If I'm going to get something new, though, I want it to work in the future--thus something that will be compatible with the Athlon 64 mobos, especially with the Socket 939.

Any ideas on what I should get?

(Posted here, rather than Overclocking and Cooling, because this relates more to Athlon sockets than it does to general cooling.)

Originally posted by carl67lp
If I'm going to get something new, though, I want it to work in the future--thus something that will be compatible with the Athlon 64 mobos, especially with the Socket 939.

My friend, you are dreaming. That is unless you are willing to do some modding.

Originally posted by DaveX
My friend, you are dreaming. That is unless you are willing to do some modding.

Well, I couldn't tell what kind of HSF went on the new sockets, so it didn't hurt to ask, ya know? :)

And no, I don't intend to do any modding. Those days for me are over and done with.

Dont know about socket 939 but id assume it would work.
CNPS7000A-ALCU or CNPS7000A-CU
Works right now on Socket A, 478, 754, and 940

Damn I forgot about the Zalman. Kind of stupid since I have it :). Yeah, you just need to use like a retention bracket or something for it to work on Socket 940 and 754. It should work on Socket 939 too.

Well, let me change my request a bit then.

Instead of getting one that's a catch-all, how about two? One for my current Socket A, and then something that would be good for the Socket 754 or 939 (in case I don't feel like waiting for the 939)?

I'm running the default heatsink on my box at home <details in sig> runs right at around 42C.

Originally posted by carl67lp
Instead of getting one that's a catch-all, how about two? One for my current Socket A, and then something that would be good for the Socket 754 or 939 (in case I don't feel like waiting for the 939)?

Socket A, 754, or 940, and probably 939: Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu

Socket A: Thermalright slk-900A

Socket 754 or 940 and probably 939: Thermalright slk-948U

Back