going to finally install linux.. need help getting started.

ok.. i got a computer here... win2k
celeron 800
382mb pc133..
umm.. 3 4 gig hard drives...

i am about to wipe a 4 gig... and install linux
i have the following versions, whatever they are called..
shrike
slackware 9.1
yellow dog - this is for a mac, i know
and i might have a fedora sitting on a computer, but that requires me plugging it in, pulling it across the netowrk and burning it to cd...

also, is there a better place to get linux than linuxiso.org? it was kinda flaky when i downloaded the ones i have now...

so how do i start, which one sholud i use?
i have cable internet so i can download something else if i need to..

and what do i format the drive as..

and how do i make sure it runs dual boot?

thanks
scott

boot:
Loading /kernels/bare.i/bzImange....................
loading initrd.img
ready.
Uncompressing Linux...

invalid compressed format (err=1)

--- system halted_

so yeah.. does that mean it is trying to install to ide 0 which is ntfs formatted?

i want it to install to my secondary master...

ok.. i fixed some problems by throwing a lite-on cd rom in there instead of that generic shit i had.. but the kernel won't boot...

it uncompresses it and all that... but i don't see anythin on the screen...

it sounds like a bad cd, might want to try downloading directly from slackware, or trying a network install over theinternet. I've never installed slackware so I don't know if there is an option for this.

a couple of resources for ya -

linuxloader.com - has a couple good install tutorials. they use mandrake (which i had no trouble getting up and running my first time, dual booting with xp).

linuxquestions.org - has a great forum with a newbie section as well as distro-specific forums. every time i get stuck, i can either search there and find my answer, or post and get responses within minutes. most newbie questions have already been asked and answered, so take advantage of the search.

as for downloading - get your iso's from the official sites, if you can. it's much easier that way (imho).

ok.. same damn thing happens with fedora core 2...

it decompresses and bunch of shit, then the screen goes blank... does my video card suck?

the HDD light doesn't do anything though...

i ganked out the vid card and am using the onbaord video and it seems to work now... i guess i could have done this last night with slackware.

I really hate Fedora. I suggest Lycoris or Mandrake. Xandros is nice as well.

i am typing from fedora right now... the only thing that was hard about installing it was learning what a swap file is, and how to use it...

but how do i open a link in a new window in mozilla? normally i hold shift while i click links..

i am updating to firefox in a minute anyways... maybe that will fix it...

Fedora is great as alot of RPM packages work well and are desigined for it, apt is also a great little program.

Back