Gigabit X crossover capabilities...

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
I know most gigabit cards have auto X crossover capabilities but answer me this... if I plug a gbit card into a 10/100 card with a normal cable will the gbit card still auto sense the necessity for the X crossover?

it should as it does not matter about the speed. autox is somthing different then speed.

It probably will, as several brands of switches and routers autoX for 10/100 now. This technology can't be that hard to implement.

Depends on the switch. Autonegotiation is something different from the auto-crossover that many switches come with these days.

Does anyone know if auto-crossover is part of the Gigabit Ethernet spec? It seems every GigE switch I've looked at supported it, so it got me wondering.

Originally posted by BobSutan
Depends on the switch. Autonegotiation is something different from the auto-crossover that many switches come with these days.

Does anyone know if auto-crossover is part of the Gigabit Ethernet spec? It seems every GigE switch I've looked at supported it, so it got me wondering.

From what I understand it is part of the Gbit spec... thats why I was asking my question. All the gbit cards I have seen have auto x over. I was just curious if it would work going from a gbit to a 10/100 nic.

I don't see why it wouldn't, unless you're talking about Fiber Gigabit interfaces. Those don't autonegotiate (at least not on Cisco 3500s they don't).

Back