Ghost and Pagefiles

ziddey

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi! I'm about to use Ghost to save an image of my partition. But I have 768MB for a pagefile and 512MB for the hibernation file. Does Ghost 2003 ignore this? Will it pretty much compress to nothing? What should I do? It will take 4 CD's with these two there and between 2 and 3 otherwise.

Thanks
edit: aye so it does ignore em

aye!

turn off hibernation and lower your pagefile before you ghost it.

Make sure it will boot back up with the lower pagefile though

Ghost does not get down to that level and ignore certain files. It will grab an entire drive or entire partition and take it all, doesn't care what kind of files you have on it.

...but won't an empty 1GB allocation just compress down to next to nothing? Or is data just sloppily left in the page file?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2001111413481325?Open&src=&docid=19

"Normally, Ghost does not create an exact duplicate of a disk. Instead, Ghost recreates the partition information as needed and copies the contents of the files. Creating a copy rather than an exact duplicate reduces the time it takes to copy a disk and reduces the amount of disk space required.

Ghost uses specific switches to create more exact duplicates of the original disk. To copy the entire disk, including the entire boot track, all sectors, and unpartitioned space, and to prevent Ghost from filtering extraneous or erroneous information from the boot track, run Ghost with the -IR switch"

As far as I know, if you image the drive with the swapfile populated with data, that is what youll get, if on the other hand its been cleared, just the instructions to reserve that space will be copied. There are about a million switches for Ghost
actually learning them seperates the pros from the enthusiasts :p

Im currently somewhere inbetween
a Ghost Purgatory

Back