Getting more from your fans?

Zero1

Limp Gawd
Heya, I've just ordered a shiznit load of tornado's and was checking the spec. I noticed how the 80mm tornados run at 5700rpm, and the 92mm runs at 4800 rpm ,is it possible and how would i get the 92mm to run at 5700 rpm?

well, there desinged to run at that rpm at 12v so the only way i know is to incress voltage...but you will kill a very expensive fan...very fast.

besides, the 9200 allready blows over 100 CMF of air, and the 80s only blow like 80cmf....That is going to be damm loud...

But really what do you think is going to happen? Another 500 MHZ incress...i think not, if you are currently maxing out at 2300MHz the i would say you are at you chips limit. addin 100 new fans isnt going to help, if you want higher youll need some water cooling and higher voltages, (2400-2500Mhz) or phase change cooling (2600-2700Mhz)

Mabey invest in a kick ass heatsink, with a tornado on it? its not all about pumping as much air tru you case and you can.

ive had it post at 2500 recently, but it didnt go any further. ive also been into windows at 2400 and running for a bit, and it seems to die from heat.

im not expecting a huge increase in speed, i realise that i really should be water cooling. heck at one point i considered a vapochill, but then thought, if its only gonna give me like 200mhz over air cooling its not worth it.

but yeah, i see your point, i didnt realise that a bit extra voltage would totally kill a tornado.

although you say a kickass heatsink... i think ive got that covered, ive got an slk947 on order and some arctic silver5. the 92mm tornado is for on top of the heatsink.

also ordered a vga silencer, so i should at least be able to run current speeds with stability

Sence they are brushless the only real way to kill one with normal use (not kicking it around) is for the bearings to wear out. High speeds do this faster so making them faster would make them die quicker but thats about the only reason.

If you realy wanted to, all that is needed is to tap off the -5v line and use it as the ground with the +12v. Thus gives you +17v. That may actually get higher rpm than the 80mm.

agreed with above poster, although the -5v isn't something commonly done...

and what .. the... fuk.

that is an assload of tornadoes. i'm not even kidding, i've played with a delta or two in my time, but i seriously think that's just... perhaps a *cough* teensy bit overkill?

Good lord man, there'd be so much turbulent air in your case o_O

I wonder if it'd all be beneficial anyways?

if i'm not mistaken, the fans have tolerence of up to 15V only... more than that it'll kill the fan

Zero1,
The other thing you could consider doing is this:

Remove the label from the fan, there will be a semi-circular nylon retaining clip, pop it off, put the label back on and now your fan will produce more rpms than before.

I did this with my coolermaster hhc-001 and instead of the default 6800 rpms it runs now at 7031 rpms.

Ive also done this same mod to all of my case fans.

Laterz,
dafanman:cool:

but won't this cause the fan to spin off the bearings? the clip is meant to lock the fan's shaft in the bearing

I thought it was just a precaution. The magnets that cause the fan to fun would keep it in place. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.:D

i have a tornado. i bought it and installed it and it's really really loud. louder than i even thought. of course both sides of my case are off and i'm assuming that it'll quiet down when i close it up. but it was so loud i had to use the computer with headphoens because it was in that range of noise where it's headache causing. kinda like having feedback up way too loud. so i took it off and am waiting until i get the sides back.

but man it does blow some mad amounts of air. :)

at 7000rpm... the lift made by the fans should be enough to lift the blades a bit... at these rate.. it'll also vibrates violently...

who tried modded a fan? i tried to change a brushless fans (with no bearings) with a P4 fan bearings... did improve it's speed though...

some fans are rated up to 13.8/14v now getting that out of a psu is another problem

Back