Getting FreeBSD to work with my wifi adapter

Zalbag

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I am trying to get FreeBSD to recognize and use my Netgear WG311 PCI adapter but it's not working... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Zalbag

NOTE: My previous thread about internet connection speeds over wireless has been resolved, it turned out to be my internet connection :)

Ok, we need a bit more info here. The output for the card generated by pciconf -lv would be a nice place to start.

Note that the older WG311s were Atheros-based and a driver exists for them. The newer WG311s are based on a TI chip and they are not supported yet.

Try pciconf -lv as root. That'll fix the "operation not permitted" problem.

Which version of FreeBSD are you running? Tried "kldload if_ath" (as root...) yet? The atheros driver isn't built in to the kernel by default.

I am logged in as root and it won't let me run pciconf or the kldload, both times it says "Operation not permitted"

I am running 4.9-RELEASE

Woops! Sorry mods! Just noticed there's a sub-forum for linux/freebsd threads, please move my thread...

Sorry again...

Don't know. That's screwy, considering pciconf -lv and kldload are both commands that should be ran as root.

OK I figured it out, when I first installed FreeBSD I answered the question about the security that I wanted and set it to Extreme. So I just reinstalled and both commands work, I tried that kldload and it told me it could not find the module, and the pciconfig stuff gave me a bunch of junk with one "entry" being: none1@pci1:7:0 class=0x020000 card=0x49001385 chip=0x0013168c rev=0x01 hdr=0x00 vendor = "Atheros Communications Inc." class = network subclass = ethernet

good? bad?

The Atheros devices are supported well under FreeBSD 5.x, including the WG311. However, I don't think there's an ath driver for 4.x. It's certainly not present in my sources for 4.10-RELEASE.

Snugglebear said:
The Atheros devices are supported well under FreeBSD 5.x, including the WG311. However, I don't think there's an ath driver for 4.x. It's certainly not present in my sources for 4.10-RELEASE.

But 5.x isn't production quality/ready for prime-time/whatever?

Snugglebear beat me to it. No ath driver in 4.x, I believe.

I wouldn't trust 5.x for a mission-critical machine yet. However, for a home box, who cares? It'll probably do just fine. My new firewall/gateway with the MA311 will be a FreeBSD-5 machine.

Back