geting ip's on network

Duster

Supreme [H]ardness
i run a wireless router and such and i was wondering if there is a way to tell all the ip's being used on the network like a simple bat file that coul be written

i am very new to this kind of stuff but i looked in my router and it doesn't have anthing like that

i.e. i want to see if someone is loggin on to wifi without me knowing thanks

Well, if you're windows based, you could just write a batch file do do every IP address on your subnet. Personally, I prefer a GUI inteface for Winbloze, and use a program called NetworkView. Think this is the right link. Gives a little bit of information too.

If I were using Linux, I'd just write a quick shell script to ping and give me the results. That's a 30 second job. I hate batch files though.

pinging might not work if the devices won't respond to ICMP. If you use DHCP, you could check the DHCP entries... but then this won't work if someone manually picked an IP address.

nmap is useful in this situation. Using nmap without ping, trying both TCP and UDP, in the address range doled out by the DHCP server, would quickly tell you which IPs are in use.

It'd be better, however, to just set your wireless router to only allow certain MAC addresses to obtain an IP address. That way, you can prevent most unauthorized use of your router.

i am a windows user and will look into the programs u guys talked about

i tried to have a pass key but it kept kicking me on/off line every few mins sitting right in front of it
but i have not thought about mac addy thing

were can i find the mac address for my wireless nics tryed system>device>blablabla>properties but did not see and looked under details of connections is it my physical address maybe??

thanks for the help guys

Yeah, if nmap makes a windows version you can just do a ping sweep of your whole subnet.
Code:
nmap -sP x.x.x.0/24

is there some websight that tells u how to write bat files

something like what commands do wat so i can write my own to do other stuff thanks

edit: love this networkview program works great but still would like info on how to write bat files

Originally posted by Duster

were can i find the mac address for my wireless nics tryed system>device>blablabla>properties but did not see and looked under details of connections is it my physical address maybe??

thanks for the help guys

start--> run--> cmd--> Enter

ipconfig /all

PHYSICAL ADDRESS is your MAC

Back