GA-5aa & IDE device detection problem

mwxcat

n00b
Hi all,

I've got a GA-5AA super socket 7 (ALi M1542/M1543C chipset) Rev 1.1 mobo. running it with k6/2 300 @stock speeds, 3 sticks of ram, (128, 128, 32), a 6.5Gb Seagate medalist drive and a 52x Acer cd-rom, generic 8mb Sis PCI video card.

I seem to have a problem getting either or both my ide devices to be detected in the bios. Both the harddisk and cdrom can be detected on my other machine (1.4Tbird, K7T 266 Pro). Have tried the following without much success.

1) Autodetection of ide devices in bios.
2) I have enabled both onboard IDE channels in the bios.
3) Manually setting HD info in bios, (sectors/ heads/ cylinders) with LBA on and off. Setting the above results in "Harddisk error" msg on boot.
Setting cdrom to secondary master/slave gives an atapi - incompatable error on boot.
4) resetting bios to default.
5) tried different hd / cdroms in this mobo with the same error.
6) flashed to a different bios 5aa.13
7) trying it on a different mobo of the same type results in the same error.

Because of that I'm thinking that there is something i've missed but am not sure what it is. The only other item that stands out is that the harddisk light is always on, and i've check the connection of that LED to make sure that they are in the right pins which they seem to be correct.

If any one has any ideas or suggestion's it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you're using Cable Select, try setting as a Master/Slave manually, or vice versa.

If you're using any western digital drives, note that they are picky little pissers to set jumpers properly on.

Otherwise, purchase a controller card.

Then again, i'd file the board in teh circular file, its one of the worst i've ever worked with.

Back