G9 worth it?

Zake202

Gawd
Ok, so I've spent a good portion of the day researching the G9 after seeing it was only $45 at Bestbuy (online only)

I have a $25 Bestbuy gift card and I haven't seen much else I want.

I guess my main questions are...

Has anyone used it after using a Razer Copperhead or any razer mouse?
If so do you like it better/worse?

Can you actually palm it if you have smaller hands?
Is it comfortable?
Are the buttons positioned well?

I'm on my 2nd copperhead now (after sending the first in under warranty) and decided I'd like to go back to logitech for a while.

I think the only other mouse I'd really want is a G500, but seeing as that's still $70 at BB it's out of the question for now as I don't want to spend more than $30 after the gift card.

Anyway, this isn't my only option as I'm not in a huge rush but I'm curious what people think about the G9.

Should add in I went to a local Bestbuy to try the G9x (same body) and they didn't have a display model. Evidently no other stores around here do either so I can't really try it to see if it's comfortable.

Last edited:
I love my G9. Switched to it from a Lachesis after it broke, and I couldn't believe how much better it was. For me at least, it is perfect for my hand - and if you palm your mouse it should be fine as well. It's actually quite small (compared to a Lachesis). It also has a bunch of nice features and customizations.

I like the G9 a lot. It's a much much better mouse for me than the Copperhead was, but then again the only Razer mouse I've ever found to be comfortable was the DeathAdder. I have to say the DeathAdder is more ergonomic and more easily palmed, but I find myself using the G9 more.

The scroll wheel on the G9 has a reputation for requiring a lot of force to depress. It's not a big deal to some people, but others are very put off by it. The wheel itself scrolls well enough and offers both clicky detents (a must for weapon selection IMO) and free-spin scrolling for long web pages or spreadsheets. You switch between the two modes via a button on the bottom of the mouse.

The mouse tracks extremely well and feels very precise and accurate. I've owned many gaming mice and I like the tracking of the G9 a lot...it also helps that the sensor is located in the middle of the mouse vs. being at the top (which is the only thing I do not like about my G500).

I feel that the buttons are positioned well. I have no trouble using the thumb buttons and the main L/R buttons feel well constructed and offer a nice click. Not too loud and not cheap feeling. Some don't care for the location of the DPI selection buttons, but they work well enough for me and do a great job of staying out of the way. I never have to worry about accidentally pressing them, but I've seen other people say that they have inadvertently pressed them, or that they were difficult to find/use when needed, or that they should have been more tactile or relocated to another part of the mouse. They don't bother me, although I adapt pretty well (the DPI select buttons are different in feel and location on the G5, G500, and G9 and I don't complain about any of them).

You could probably palm the mouse if you had small enough hands. I tend to use more of a claw grip with the G9 but I just tried palming it with the smaller grip installed and my hand is just too large -- either my fingers hang off the front or the back of my hand hangs off of the rear. Things might be different with the larger grip, but I prefer the smaller one.

In short, I think the mouse is well worth $45 (or ~$25 in your case). It works great for both gaming and normal OS tasks. Too bad you aren't able to try out a display model...lots of people love this mouse but others just can't come to grips with the somewhat unconventional shape of it.

Thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and ordered it.

I think I will like it, it seems positive overall.

Curious if it's going to work ok with my Ratpad XT. I noticed a few people in the sticky for the pad said the G9's feet wear out fast from the pad, but some also said it didn't. I guess I will have to see.

Would you say the mouse and grips seem well constructed or at least feel solid overall?

I'm looking for to the mouse being heavier, also a bit higher than the copperhead.

I don't mind the claw grip but I'm thinking with my smaller hands the larger grip will work well for palm.

Oh, one last question. Is setpoint doing ok these days? I know i had small issues 3-4 years ago. Haven't used it since.

Last edited:
I also have the XT, and have had no wear or tracking issues. The mouse grips are just plastic, but are built reasonably well and have a non-slip rubber sort of coating on the outside (like most Razer mice). No issues with Setpoint.

Would you say the mouse and grips seem well constructed or at least feel solid overall?

Yes, definitely. Even though the grips are removable/interchangeable they fit well and the mouse feels solid and well constructed. Nothing feels cheap or gimmicky.

Zake202 said:
I'm looking for to the mouse being heavier, also a bit higher than the copperhead.

Oh right -- that's something I didn't even touch on. I don't use any of the included weights with the mouse but you can certainly make it heavier if that's your preference. Logitech made sure that this mouse could be customized for many different players.

Zake202 said:
Oh, one last question. Is setpoint doing ok these days? I know i had small issues 3-4 years ago. Haven't used it since.

As SUPERGT mentioned, I haven't encountered any issues with SetPoint. Google UberOptions if you want/need even more control than SetPoint provides.

Shoot... decisions decisions....what do you all think I should do? stick with the G9 (i can still cancel the order) or go grab the G500?

Upside to that is I can get it at the local BB vs waiting for the G9.

Some fast replies would be great..not sure what i'd like more without trying each.

not sure what i'd like more without trying each.

No one can make that decision but you, since they are really different in shape and feel. Can you buy both and just return the one you like less?

They have the G500 and G9x in the store. The G9x and G9 have the same body so you could compare them.

They have the G500 and G9x in the store. The G9x and G9 have the same body so you could compare them.

Yea I know. When I went to test out the G9x yesterday, it wasn't on display. Neither was the G500.

How similar is the G500 to the MX518?

How does the third thumb button work out? the one between the usual 2.

Can it be bound in games etc? Does it get in the way of the other two?

It can be with the drivers but I've never actually used it beyond Best Buy. I have bigger hands and I didn't have any trouble hitting each button accurately.

Thinking I will try the G9 if I can't cancel shipping and then the G500.

Mainly curious how long that sale will last now for the g500. Assuming a week?

Really like my G9. Best gaming mouse I have ever used and setpoint is a nice pice of software. Have used three or four razer mice, logitech MX revolution and various other optical mice. So far the G9 is my go to mouse.

I do at times wish the grip was a little bigger, but I haven't checked to see if logitech has added a bigger grip yet.

I do at times wish the grip was a little bigger, but I haven't checked to see if logitech has added a bigger grip yet.

They do make a bigger grip but you have to order it from their site. I wanted to try it out and ended up liking it so its what I use now. Gives it more a G500 feel, its a large grip. Its the middle one here, you can tell how big it is because the actual body of the mouse isnt visible sticking out the bottom (theres about a 1 inch gap). The other grips are lower to the ground and the bottom of the actual mouse sticks out.

You can put an image on it when you order it, so yeah :p

P1000904.JPG

I've picked up three G9 mice for cheap after MIR over the past two years. It's been a good mouse for gaming or general use, and I have a couple of spares.

I'm curious if 5700 dpi vs 3200 makes a real difference when gaming?

Still deciding between the two. I tried the g500 at a different bestbuy, and receive the g9 today to try.

Lemme know about the dpi question though. Thanks

Not really. Unless you lower the in-game sensitivity, 5700 dpi is really fast and hard to control for a lot of people. 3200 dpi should be plenty for most people.

Short answer is yes but try it yourself. In Setpoint you can set the toggle under the left mouse button to change between 3200 and 5700.

When you receive the g9, make sure your other settings match up too so you get the real feel of the device without software changes to the pointer. In setpoint, use the middle speed and uncheck OS control and use no acecleration, also use 500+hz usb rate. In windows mouse settings, use the middle one and uncheck pointer ballistics (enhance pointer precision). Then try some games w/ mouse acceleration off, if the game has that option. Try 5700 vs 3200 vs something even lower, the G9 lets you have up to 5 DPIs controlled from the button. The difference will be obvious.

Another thing to consider, and I'm not sure how this affects it because I dont have one, is the G500's sensor location at the top of the mouse. Its otherwise the same sensor as the G9, so once you try the G9 its a matter of preference.

I thought the g9 only goes to 3200? The g9x goes to 5700.

I won't have a g500 next to me to try at that time either.

Why 500 polling rate vs 1000? And I usually do run without mouse accel. Just change my sensitivity in games and leave windows/setpoint to default.

Also, is the 3rd grip worth buying?

I just bought the G9 a few days ago thanks to the BB sale thread. Hopefully I like it and the grips aren't an issue for me since I have small hands. I'm looking forward to it since I've been so cheap on mice all these years.

Sorry, I was talking about the g9x.

Yeah usb at 1000, that gets you an extra milisecond over 500 so hell why not ;)
* 125 Hz = 8ms
* 250 Hz = 4ms
* 500 Hz = 2ms
* 1000 Hz = 1ms

The 3rd grip is extra cost and entirely a comfort and aesthetics choice. Its all I use now, but hard to recommend it unless you have too big a hand for the other two grips. The other grips were a bit too small, my ring finger and pinkie would always hang off awkwardly and when I tried the 3rd grip I stuck with it. Not sure how some people hold the small grip otherwise, maybe they leave the middle finger on the wheel and ring finger on the right click.

I had a mx510 for about 5-6 years and LOVED it. Got a G9 for home instead of the G9x since I would not really need the extra DPI setting. I also got a $25 gift card from Best Buy and bought a second G9 for work since it has become my NEW FAVORITE mouse.

Testing the G9 as we speak.

I have the DPI at 3200 and polling rate at 1000.

Made sure Setpoint is controlling it not windows.

One thing I'm wondering. Instead of 5 sensitivity I had to turn it down to 2 at 3200 dpi.

Should I be turning the sensitivity down or dpi? I thought the higher dpi means more precise? Not sure if that affects it still if I'm turning down the sensitivity anyway.

Some people like to turn DPI up and decrease the sensitivity in-game or in Windows. I personally leave the mouse slider at the default level in Windows so there is no acceleration and adjust the DPI on the mouse to a level that I'm comfortable with.

So how do you like the shape?

Liking it a lot so far.

Only downside i have come across is the wheel mechanic button is on the bottom instead of the top like the G500.

If I set mouse accel to 0 it will be off right?

Thinking of leaving my windows sensitivity at 2, leaving DPI at 3200, and decreasing game sensitivity.

I think when I tried the g500 that the back of it was just a bit too long. I liked the shape and everything, but because of that the front thumb button was a bit harder to reach. Still may go test that one again, haven't decided.

Last edited:
I prefer the grip and shape of the G500 and how it fills up my palm over the G9

I like the G9 but I went back to BB tonight and toyed around with the g500 again for about 20 minutes.

I think four things made me switch to it over the G9.

- Grip, I like the rough texture over the smooth one for a change. Can't say I liked the smaller grip on the G9 either, which had the same rough texture.
- The wheel mechanic button on top not the bottom
- The third thumb button. I use the Mouse 4 and 5 buttons constantly in WOW and other games. I think the third one will be a nice addition.
- The DPI up and down buttons are in better place for my finger.

Shape came last as I liked both an equal amount. I did grow up using the MX500 and 518 though, so I'm familiar with this shape.

I really appreciate all of the replies though. Just need to decide where to leave my DPI on this one.

May keep it in the middle around 3200 for normal use. Not sure 5700 is going to be that useful. I already had my windows sensitivity way down at 3200 dpi.

Is anyone else having issues getting the Macro Editor/key binding to work on their G9? I created some macros and bound them to buttons on the mouse... But they do not work in the game I play.

Still deciding between the two. I tried the g500 at a different bestbuy, and receive the g9 today to try.

Lemme know about the dpi question though. Thanks

No difference for me. I have both the G500 and G9. Very different shapes. The dpi difference is a non-issue. I turned the G500 up to 5700 and the cursor jumps around like a mad man...totally unusable for me. I game at around 2000 dpi, which both mice are capable of.

I have so many gaming mice at present that I could swear I have a problem. Especially given that i can theoretically only use one at a time. What I have learned IMHO is that dpi is all hype and shape / functionality is everything. You may get the occasional person who games at 5700 dpi, but i really doubt there are many out there.

Both mice are practically the same functionality wise (i.e. # of buttons is pretty close, both use setpoint software etc). The main difference is the shape and feel. I liked the G9 alot (fat finger grip), but have been very impressed with the G500 so far (still getting used to the shape change).

I would make my decision based upon what feels right and not based upon dpi numbers.

Back