Full Review and Thoughts of the Alienware 360 OLED AW2725DF

Good Review man.
Regarding DSC and DSR, I vaguely remember being able to use DSR on my G7 (1440p@240hz), so I looked around and found out that DSC and DSR can work together. However, it's up to how the manufacturer implements EDID timings on their displays.
https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/nvidia-dsr-and-dldsr-do-work-with-dsc-monitors-sometimes

So using DSR on this Alien might be possible, at least in certain refresh rates, but it depends solely on Dell.

This monitor arrived at my house yesterday, and I spent roughly two hours gaming on it last night.

I own a 55 inch LG C2 OLED panel, which I’ve been gaming on for three years. Not all games run well at 4K, even with a 4090, so I thought that a 1440p monitor beside the 4K display would be a nice option for higher frames.

The panel itself is nice… the standout game, last night, was The Last of Us, which looked fantastic, and was ridiculously smooth… but at 27 inches this display is almost too small for my old eyes. These days, I have two sets of glasses which I’m constantly switching between or just removing. (I remember my dad, when he was my age, would always be taking his glasses off and putting his face right in front of the text to read something, and it would drive me crazy - I get it now.)

If your vision is fine, and you’ve not yet experienced OLED, I can see how this monitor might blow you away. But for me, personally, this display will be used only occasionally, and truth be told it’s not a huge leap over my LG C9.

Uhhh...welcome to the old guys club.

Send that 27 crap back and get the 32" 4k240 version like the rest of us elderly.

So using DSR on this Alien might be possible, at least in certain refresh rates, but it depends solely on Dell.
Why would this be an issue? DSR isn't touching the output resolution at all, its simply internally rendering the game at a higher resolution. The output res/refresh/bit-depth is unchanged.

Uhhh...welcome to the old guys club.

Send that 27 crap back and get the 32" 4k240 version like the rest of us elderly.
The 4K version would clearly be a much better monitor for me - but my LG C9 is already a 4K Oled panel, so those needs have already been met. I’m not going to lie… I was momentarily tempted… because I’m an impractical person and often make irrational decisions.

My LG C9 is connected to my pc, to a 4K blu-ray player, and to Apple TV 4K - and, at night, I frequently jump between movie and tv watching and game playing. The C9 works great for that.

I now believe that the panel I should have bought, to go alongside my C9, strictly for gaming, was the Alienware 34 inch ultra-widescreen display.

At 4K, for gaming, you’re pushing 8 million pixels. At 3440x1440, you’re pushing 5 million, and at 1440p you’re pushing 3.6 Million. 5 million isn’t a bad compromise, but that 21:9 aspect ratio, which I’ve dealt with in the past, can be troublesome.

I see that the Alienware 34 inch display is presently on sale for $400 off though. Should I make another irrational decision and buy it and then have three oled displays covering 8 million, 5 million, and 3.6 million pixels?

LOL.

Good thing I’m not married.

EDIT: I just bought the Alienware 3423DWF. It was $899 CAD, which was $100 less than what I paid for the AW2725DF.

So now I need to purchase another monitor arm. Oh, boy.

You need to cancel that 34" and order the 32"

Then you need to mount that c9 to a stand with wheels and push it off to the side away from God Tier 32" 4k240

Purchasing the old Alienware 3423DWF right now isnt a good decision. It's outdated and you can find many second hand units within warranty period below $500.

Why would this be an issue? DSR isn't touching the output resolution at all, its simply internally rendering the game at a higher resolution. The output res/refresh/bit-depth is unchanged.
Guess clicking the link was too hard after all:
NVIDIA DSR, NVIDIA DLDSR and NVIDIA Image Scaling are supported when DSC mode is enabled, if the pixel rate needed to drive the display mode does not exceed the GPU’s single head limit. If GPU uses two or more internal heads to drive the display, NVIDIA DSR, NVIDIA DLDSR and NVIDIA Image Scaling are not supported”

He speaks the truth. Its now coming around to 2 years old and uses a 1st generation QD-OLED panel while current monitors are on gen 3 and far more resilient.
We have a very different meaning of the word ‘outdated’. Not worth arguing about. Sorry.

We have a very different meaning of the word ‘outdated’. Not worth arguing about. Sorry.
You bought a 2022 product in 2024 at a slightly discounted price. If that's not buying outdated hardware, then I dont know what is.

I spent a couple of hours last night gaming on the AW2725DWF. My frame-rates, in comparison to the frames generated by my 4090 when connected to my LG C9 4K OLED, were virtually doubled in almost every game I played, which was nice.

But the panel itself is not a huge leap above my 4-year-old C9, and in some ways it’s actually a downgrade.

For one thing, anyone coming from a 55 or 49 inch panel is likely going to find it jarring when faced with a 27 inch display. For me, personally, even 32 inches is too small now. The colours, the HDR, and the motion clarity of the AW27 are better than my C9, but only marginally. It’s just not that big of a jump. The upgrade from my old IPS panel, to my C9 OLED panel was massive, and, at the time, incredibly exciting. Seeing this new monitor in action for the first time was actually kind of ho-hum.

The one thing that did surprise me about this new panel is that it’s not completely black when switched on. The C9 is completely dark when switched on - the blacks are truly black. The AW27, however, has a very slight tinge when turned on. I can see this because it’s sitting right beside my C9 and the difference is obvious.

I’ll be keeping this panel, but it’ll be used only when my 4090 is struggling at 4K.

You need to cancel that 34" and order the 32"

Then you need to mount that c9 to a stand with wheels and push it off to the side away from God Tier 32" 4k240
Or keep the AW2725DF, the AW3425DWF, and replace the C9 with new 32 inch QD OLED panel from Alienware, which has the coveted EARC port (necessary for my Sonos setup).

I kind of wish you hadn’t suggested that.

Or keep the AW2725DF, the AW3425DWF, and replace the C9 with new 32 inch QD OLED panel from Alienware, which has the coveted EARC port (necessary for my Sonos setup).

I kind of wish you hadn’t suggested that.
I had a C2 42" next to the AW3425DWF on my desk. I ended up selling the 34 because I preferred the detail of 4k despite the lessor 120hz (the 34 was fun for playing halo and cod but 1440p lacked in high detail games).....then I sold the C2 and got a G8 neo 4k240, which I then sold and got the AW32 4k240oled and man I have not been this satisfied since that smoking hot 9 in amsterdam circa 2006 kept calling me dollar man because I didn't have euros to pay her, but she carried out her sordid business like a disgruntled champ anyway because money is money!

Damn very nice review ! Didn’t know what to think with the intro but it hooked me .

Back