freebsd samba server

MaxPower

Limp Gawd
I have 2 60GB drives being used for a samba server. I'm using FreeBSD 4.9 and the installation and configuration went fine. Both disks are setup as master on a seperate IDE channel. 1 drive has a 6GB partition for the root and the rest of drive is being used for a samba share. However the second slice (/dev/ad0s2e) has nothing saved to it, windows is reporting that 3.94 GB on the disk is being used. And the same thing is happening on the second disk, windows is reporting that 4.5 GB is used on the second disk. I am just wondering what could be causing windows to be repor that this is being used.

Why are you dual-booting a server in the first place? If it's going to be running FreeBSD, then it doesn't really matter what Windows thinks of the drives.

No, i'm not dual booting. The server is it's own machine. I was just wondering if this was just a reporting error, or not. Because after i mounted the shares on my windows machine i looked at the drive's properties from windows and it showed used space. And i was just curious what would cause this and if i'm gonna have full capacity for saving data on the drives?

If it's going to be running FreeBSD, then it doesn't really matter what Windows thinks of the drives.
I guess your saying that it's just an error on the windows side, and i do have all the space available for storage?

How are you sharing and mapping the drives? Are you using sperate shares and mapped drives for the different physical disk partitions or are you just linking through with symlinks or whatever else? Windows is pretty braindead as far as space calculation on network drives, not seeing or accounting for drives symlinked through other shares. A couple times I've seen windows try to tell me I'm over 100% full because of a symlink to another drive with more data on it than free space on the share's volume.

No there are no symlinks. I have 2 seperate partitions (2 seperate physical drives) mounted as share1 on /dev/ad0s2e and share 2 on /dev/ad1s1e on the Freebsd server. Then just mapped the drives on windows. I guess i shouldn't pay attention to what windows is telling me correct? Is there a command i can run on the freebsd box so i can see how much used/free space is actually left on the partitons? I'm pretty new to Freebsd the only other *nix expirence is from when i used to have Gentoo installed on my main system.

Back