Free satellite imagery of the entire earth (zoomed also): Nasa World Wind Proggie

pretty cool but all the NASA servers seem to be overwhelmed because I cant zoom in for nothing.

all I get is a bunch of green, blurry stuff. :(

Heh they said they had a hardware failure... look at what you guys did!!! LOL

Thanks to all that government budget cutting from years and years. No one cars about NASA stuff any more. I think we should look skyward more often! TO MARS!!

mgars said:
Thanks to all that government budget cutting from years and years. No one cars about NASA stuff any more. I think we should look skyward more often! TO MARS!!
That and increase the incentives for private companies to join the race as well ;) i want to live on a mars space colony

Pretty cool. I've been looking for something like this for a while; it's a lot better than paying people to send you the same images. The server for landsat 7 pics is down right now (supposed to be up Oct. 5, 2004), but you can at least test it out using the USGS 1m pics (black and white). It's a little slow, but wait a few seconds (while zoomed-in) and it will start to load the pics Some of the name data seems a bit out of date though, considering my school is labeled by its pre-1964 name, and my subdivision (in a suburb of Detroit) is apparently a gravel pit.

I D/Led this last night and I tried to play with it but I couldnt get the pics to zoom in.

so today I uninstalled it along with that .NET crap as well.

almost 700MBs worth of useless stuff is now off my machine. :p

There image server is currently down. When you zoom in on the image it has to download it into cache. I read that the server has like 20tb of images. Since it's down the program isn't that fun to play with. I'm really looking forward to the server coming back on so I can tinker with the program.

ozziegn said:
pretty cool but all the NASA servers seem to be overwhelmed because I cant zoom in for nothing.

all I get is a bunch of green, blurry stuff. :(
Oh thats grass, Try zooming out some :p

Tekara said:
Wow, the photos of my area are really old.I wonder what the exact date is on them.
MN Scout said:
There image server is currently down. When you zoom in on the image it has to download it into cache. I read that the server has like 20tb of images. Since it's down the program isn't that fun to play with. I'm really looking forward to the server coming back on so I can tinker with the program.
^^^^

Was able to download images of my area @ 12:45 AM EST. Seems like this might not be a peak time for the server. Maybe it hasn't downloaded enough, but the USGS 1m look a lot better than the NASA images. I'll leave it on that area overnight and maybe I'll get some keyhole quality images.

Anyone know when this is gonna be back up again? :rolleyes:

Ax

Tekara said:
on other forums I hear that nasa is getting their new landsat servers in February.

Cool - it'll be nice to check this stuff out. I used to check into the Terraserver site a couple years back, before they started charging for everything. Like most everything though, I guess it was all about the $$$. :mad:

Ax

Back