Frame Work 16 AMD Advantage

notarat

2[H]4U
Just finished watching the release video for the Frame Work 16 on YT and decided to pre-order one. I've always wanted a modular laptop and this one finally comes with all the features I've wanted so I pulled the trigger. Shame I have to wait until Q4 but it'll be worth the wait. (Announcement video below)

Specs I chose are:

Ryzen 9 7940HS (4GHz Base Clock/5.2GHz boost Clock)
Radeon 7700 Video
32GB DDR5 RAM
WiFi 6
1TB system drive
2 additional 1TB drives
Expansion Bay Shell
(6) USB C Ports
(2) USB A Ports
1 Display Port
1 HDMI Port
1 Micro SD Port
1 Ethernet Port
1 Audio Port
1 RGB Keyboard
1 Number Pad Module
Win 11 Pro

Reactions: Axman
like this
Really liked what I saw in that video and hoping this concept takes off (love to see their modular GPUs becoming standard).

A little too rich for my blood to preorder, but will be keeping an eye on these guys as reviews start rolling in.

If this thing doesn't thermally throttle under load like my OMEN X 2S does, then I think I just decided on my next laptop right here. Since MXM is practically a dead standard at this point, they might as well devise a different GPU standard that's easier to upgrade and also comes with the HSF needed for a discrete GPU.

It's too expensive for me to pre-order it as I want it optioned, but it's probably better if I wait for all the reviews to roll in first - thermal throttling, potential jank with OSes that aren't Windows (something that Framework's likely to have less of because they're one of the few that officially support Linux), keyboard and trackpad feel, all the little things that a specs sheet and benchmark graphs alone won't necessarily tell you.

With that said, upgradability only becomes a real selling point if they can maintain the ecosystem over several product generations and standardize the form factor for their components. It's a hard sell for a first-gen product, though the modularity definitely earns a lot of right-to-repair brownie points in an age of increasingly sealed, disposable laptop designs.

I'm in the market for a non-Intel/nVidia laptop so I'm curious how well this system plays games. Looking forward to reviews and also your personal experience once you get it!

I'm not in the market for a 16" or gaming laptop. I've had the 13" 11th Gen Intel for a couple years now. Been solid, only the battery life wasn't top tier. But usable. Once the 13" AMD version is orderable w/o a pre-order I'll snag one up.

Why on earth did you order it with Ram and SSD?

Puzzling.

Good though that you ordered all the ports on day one. They shoud mwntion that you should order all you need then rather than later and have to pay the massive shipping fees for one $10 port.

Oh and get some PTM7950 to replace the thermal paste.

Got my email from Frame Work letting me know I'll be getting my Starfield Deluxe code soon. I wonder if it is tied to the laptop...I guess I'll find out when I get it

Back