Frame Rate Dropping on 9700 Pro

Well, this meddlesome problem plagues me yet again now, on my newer card. Back in the old days of my former AMD system with a Sapphire Atlantis 9500, in games such as Natural Selection and Day of Defeat, my frames would drop to a staggering 40 fps or lower at many locations throughout a map.

Now, with my newer Intel system and Powercolor 9700 Pro (RC-397 Evil Commando II), I'm experiencing the similar predicament yet again. I just played some Day of Defeat for fun and I definitely dropped to 42 fps on a consistent basis on the map dod_devastation. I know that this should not happen, considering that the game is so old and my card is so much newer. And no fancy settings are even applied to my video card. Anyone have any ideas on settings that I may have missed, being in BIOS or Windows?

Here are screenshots of my current D3D and OpenGL settings.

Direct3D
OpenGL

In BIOS, my settings for the graphics accelerator on defaults of Auto, all across the board.

Dark Assassin

ALT + Print Screen does a better job, it only copies what you have highlighted or clicked on.

ATI has been having issues with frame rate drops in the HL engine for awhile now, Ask any experianced CS player. My friend on his 9800XT has that serious of drops also, its a driver issue. Think the 4.5 or lowers don't have it.

|MaguS| said:
ATI has been having issues with frame rate drops in the HL engine for awhile now, Ask any experianced CS player. My friend on his 9800XT has that serious of drops also, its a driver issue. Think the 4.5 or lowers don't have it.
I have a 9800pro and I have that problem too. I've tried almost every catalyst driver and none of them seem to work for me. http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40325 That is the link to the 40pg thread at steams forums about the fps drop problem. The weird thing is for me, when I play cs1.5 I get a constant 99fps.

Yeah its a new issue with the drivers and CS1.6, mainly due to the new code in CS1.6 and ATI not adapting thier code to it (you can see a huge performance hit in KOTOR also).

Back