FPS players - Do you use a controller or plain old keyboard?

Which do you use for First Person Shooters?

• Gaming Keyboard (ie Logitech G15, Saitek, Zboard, etc.)

Votes: 61 24.9%
  • Ordinary Keyboard

Votes: 166 67.8%
  • Specialized Controller (N52, Wolf King Warrior)

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Other?!? (Please mention)

Votes: 4 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mouse: Logitech MX518 @ highest resolution

Keyboard: Wireless Logitech Keyboard

Mouse + Keyboard cannot be beaten for any FPS, I'm sorry, its the ultimate FPS solution.

I tried to play a fps with a controller...just cant do it...keyboard is so much more easier.

Once I read a thread somewhere about a guy using a game controller in his left hand replacing the WASD setup and a mouse for his right hand. Never seen it done but it sounds pretty nifty, full analog control on both hands. I feel I'd miss the other keys that surround the WASD, but maybe whomever did it found a way around it.

I guess I have a "gaming" setup. Saitek Eclipse and MX518. I guess I game too damn hard though, the CTRL and A key are rubbing off on the Eclipse and the Logitech logo's paint is flaking off the mouse. Pffft, they're there to use and abuse, not just to look pretty.

-pig

I use this Joystick

and this throttle

for a really kick ass HOTAS system.

for FPS and other games that use a mouse best, I replace joystick with mouse but still use the throttle-it blows other keyboard replacements like the nostromo out of the water!

The only time i use the keyboard is to chat. :D

I've doing this since q2 days, and i'm telling you, this throttle for FPS owns. Everything i need from movement to switching to specific weps to throw grenades to dodge moves to zoom to whatever, i have 60 button pushes and 3 joystick axis w/o moving my hand from the throttle. Another plus is that it is very comfortable- my hands feel cramped and awkward on a keyboard. Also, it is much easier for me to use the throttle by feel then the kb. Looking down to see which button to press can be life or death in many games. I know that with practice this can be done with the kb, it's just with this throttle it's much faster and more comfortable. Who needs a kb except to chat after that? :D

Keep in mind the direct price is a little high, you can order online or go down to fry's and buy much cheaper.....

jayjaya29 said:
Mouse: Logitech MX518 @ highest resolution

Keyboard: Wireless Logitech Keyboard

Mouse + Keyboard cannot be beaten for any FPS, I'm sorry, its the ultimate FPS solution.

mouse, yes, but i've got your kb beat. see my post above.

topcat989 said:
mouse, yes, but i've got your kb beat. see my post above.

For YOU it might be the best, for the rest of us it might seem retarded.

I use my Saitek Gamer's Keyboard, but that's a regular keyboard with a usefull command pad. Very comfortable. :)

ErgoDex. Programming it was painfully easy, the hard part was learning new key locations. Every key is placed perfectly but you gotta break your keyboard learning to take full advantage.

Standarad Logitech 104-key, keyboard its great, I cant stand all these overhyped keyboards that feel even cheaper than this one.

Currently using an MX510 mouse, its ok I guess, wasn't all that impressed with it. However it is pretty comfortable which is a key, still not quite as good as the Intellimouse 3.0A, which died on me :(

Saitek keyboard, Razer Diamonback Wraith ed. When I first heard about them I thought, gee wow (Makes beat off gesture) Fiancee got them for me as gift and damn if they don't kill my old setup and then some. I highly recommend them.

You should have a COMBONATION option in the pool.
I use N52, and my G15 for most all games.

I use my laptop keyboard and my Logitech MX-518 (waiting for updated G7) w/ Steelpad QCK.

hity645 said:
For YOU it might be the best, for the rest of us it might seem retarded.

dude WTF is your problem with me, you seem to follow me around lately trying to flame or insult what i've posted.

I don't think you speak for " the rest of us" - just yourself :rolleyes:

topcat989 said:
dude WTF is your problem with me, you seem to follow me around lately trying to flame or insult what i've posted.

I don't think you speak for " the rest of us" - just yourself :rolleyes:

He's right to say ", for the rest of us it might seem retarded."

Im not saying you're retarded , but most ppl can't understand why you are playing with this .

For FPS , nothing is better than a mouse and keyboard , when some little noob from console try to tell us we are wrong , ppl get very angry .

I played a while with a controler for JAMESBOND and PERFECTDARK on N64 .
I got use to it , and i was very good . But i am 10 faster/accurate with a keyboard and a mouse .

AfterAnn said:
........For FPS , nothing is better than a mouse and keyboard ....

although kb mouse is the most common combo, what about those who use nostromo, the claw, zboard, and other specialized game controllers for FPS? for you, go with kb. But it's arragant to say that's the best and anyone who uses different is retarded.

AfterAnn said:
....... when some little noob from console try to tell us we are wrong , ppl get very angry .........

Who the fuck are you calling some little noob? and from console? guess what dude, i've never owned a console, and i don't play them. :rolleyes: I play strictly PC games. I've been here contributing to this forum since jan 2001, and i'm an avid gamer. Tell me again how i'm some fucking noob. :rolleyes: And please point out where I said anyone was "wrong" to use a KB. I said this works great for me, check it out- where did I say it was wrong to use a KB?

AfterAnn said:
........I played a while with a controler for JAMESBOND and PERFECTDARK on N64 .
I got use to it , and i was very good . But i am 10 faster/accurate with a keyboard and a mouse .

well i played a few games of jamesbond with my nephew on his N64. And i think the controllers suck ass for FPS. I'd NEVER give up a mouse for right hand control in a FPS, so tell me, what does what you posted have anything to do with what i game with?

for those who seem to want to ignore what i've posted about the controllers i use (for FPS), let me try again.

I use a mouse for right hand. will never give that up.

for left hand, instead of kb, i use a ch pro throttle as a kb replacement. I like it. It works for me. I think that alot of FPS gamers would like it as well, if they would only give it a chance. Just the way that some tried and liked the nostomo. The reasons i like it better than a keyboard were already stated, it is comfortable, and i have many button pushes comfortably in reach w/o haveing contort my hand. I use the z- axis (the front -back motion on the throttle) to make my charactor go forward and backward. thumb axis let go strafe side/side, and of course the other buttons let jump, crouch throw grenades, switch to a specific weap/hard point, etc......

i've used this combo since q2 days, and it rocks. as said, i only use the kb to chat. everything needed in a FPS at my fingertips, literaly, w/o haveing to move my hand around or off the controller. don't be an ass and knock it until you try it, it's the same as calling a nostromo user retarded. :rolleyes:

8 year old Dell QuietKey + mx510

I love the older keyboards, the newer ones use a different rebound mechanism or something different in the way they bounce back when you press them. Makes it feel slower, less responsive, all around wimpy. I love the way the older keyboards are slightly heavier, but have a bit more durability/responsiveness. Admittedly I haven't used a siatek for an extended period of time, but after 8 years I just don't care. The newer keyboards offer me zero advantages ingame, so why use them?

UltimaParadox said:
Standarad Logitech 104-key, keyboard its great, I cant stand all these overhyped keyboards that feel even cheaper than this one.

Currently using an MX510 mouse, its ok I guess, wasn't all that impressed with it. However it is pretty comfortable which is a key, still not quite as good as the Intellimouse 3.0A, which died on me :(

In the same boat, cept I voluntarily upgraded to the 510.

MS 3.0A was probably the best mouse I've ever used. Fatal1ty himself stil uses one. Unfortunately, when they made them very light, it cost them alot of durability. MS 3.0A is the most easily breakable mouse I've ever used, but despite this its also one of the best ever made (performance/comfort/practicality).

topcat989 ,

Read me again , im not saying ppl are retarded , im saying most ppl will think you/they are.
I din't call you a noob either . :(

In my opignon , mouse and keyboard is the best and the fastest . All pros are using this also .
My keyboard is an ergonomic one , perfect for gaming . Better than normal keyboard .
nostromo is nearly a keyboard , and also a cheating tool for ut2004 , so i dislike this thing .

Good for you if you like you're controlers combo .
Im not gonna try this out , i know i won't like it .

AfterAnn said:
topcat989 ,

Read me again , im not saying ppl are retarded , im saying most ppl will think you/they are.
I din't call you a noob either . :(

In my opignon , mouse and keyboard is the best and the fastest . All pros are using this also .
My keyboard is an ergonomic one , perfect for gaming . Better than normal keyboard .
nostromo is nearly a keyboard , and also a cheating tool for ut2004 , so i dislike this thing .

Good for you if you like you're controlers combo .
Im not gonna try this out , i know i won't like it .

whatever dude, i stand by my post. I quoted yours bit by bit and gave my response to it. If you didn't mean to be condencending to me, fine, but with what you posted i don't see how any other conclusion is possible. Anyways, you have your opinion, and i have mine. i'm not saying anything negative about those who perfer a kb, only saying that i've found a neat combo that works for me. i'll call it water under the bridge.

also, the reason pros use kb is most likely that for competitions that's all they can use, so they practice with what they'll compeat with. Doesn't mean that's all they would ever use if they had a chance to try out alturnatives and decide for themselves.

I'm curious though, how is it "cheating" to use a nostromo in ut2k4? :confused:

topcat989 said:
whatever dude, i stand by my post. I quoted yours bit by bit and gave my response to it. If you didn't mean to be condencending to me, fine, but with what you posted i don't see how any other conclusion is possible. Anyways, you have your opinion, and i have mine. i'm not saying anything negative about those who perfer a kb, only saying that i've found a neat combo that works for me. i'll call it water under the bridge.

also, the reason pros use kb is most likely that for competitions that's all they can use, so they practice with what they'll compeat with. Doesn't mean that's all they would ever use if they had a chance to try out alturnatives and decide for themselves.

I'm curious though, how is it "cheating" to use a nostromo in ut2k4? :confused:

If something was really better than mouse/keyboard , and most ppl would use it , i think the competition would allow it .

Nostromo let you use some software to bind key . This let you dodge with only 1 key .
You can do left left jump with only 1 key .

AfterAnn said:
.......Nostromo let you use some software to bind key . This let you dodge with only 1 key .
You can do left left jump with only 1 key .

then call me a cheater in ut2k4, becuase i do the exact same thing. It works great. Funny though, it didn't magically allow me to own anybody. Proof it takes more than a keybind to win, you have to have skill, and i've only played about 5 hours or so of ut2k4, so i have nowhere near the practice needed.

topcat989 said:
for left hand, instead of kb, i use a ch pro throttle as a kb replacement. I like it. It works for me. I think that alot of FPS gamers would like it as well, if they would only give it a chance. Just the way that some tried and liked the nostomo. The reasons i like it better than a keyboard were already stated, it is comfortable, and i have many button pushes comfortably in reach w/o haveing contort my hand. I use the z- axis (the front -back motion on the throttle) to make my charactor go forward and backward. thumb axis let go strafe side/side, and of course the other buttons let jump, crouch throw grenades, switch to a specific weap/hard point, etc......

Didn't read you setup exactly, but I'd LOVE to try doing similar. There's no just way a controller for your left hand can be worse than a keyboard. Digital On/Off vs full analog control for movement. I can't find any logic against it.

-pig

pigwalk said:
Didn't read you setup exactly, but I'd LOVE to try doing similar. There's no just way a controller for your left hand can be worse than a keyboard. Digital On/Off vs full analog control for movement. I can't find any logic against it.

-pig

finally, someone who gets it- :p

just read my posts again, i explain it pretty well, i may have to take some video of me using it and post it, then maybe folks will get the idea............

Back