Fortron 530W or PC Power & Cooling 410W??

tenren

n00b
What PSU would you guys recommend to handle athlon 64 and nvidia 6800 GT?

Fortron 530W
or
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 410W

They both cost about the same but
PC Power has PFC
+12V rail max is 23A
+5V rail max is 32A
while the forton has
+12V rail max is 18A
+5V is 40A

Which is better?

My vote is for the Forton 530, they are going to put out the same wattage, the fortron might do a tad better, and youll save yourself some $$

advanced101101 said:
My vote is for the Forton 530, they are going to put out the same wattage, the fortron might do a tad better, and youll save yourself some $$

pcp&c

If you're rich buy the pcp&p. If you're not, get the Fortron.

Sparkle is Fortron

Fortron Source + Sparkle Power = FSP Group

for the most part its now just a brand split
one being retail the other OEM
but the same supplies and model numbers

pc power and cooling Silencer 410w; in fact after a lot of reading i had already decided I will buy it for myself.

or,

if your so poor you cant afford to replace the $3000 you spent on the workstation
after saving up for a year and a half
pony up the extra $100 :p (and get a UPS too)

Ice Czar said:
or, if your so poor you cant afford to replace the $3000 you spent on the workstation
after saving up for a year and a half
pony up the extra $100 :p

Honestly i agree, but if your spending $3000 on a system, you probably have enough power hungry componenets to need a high quaility 550W power supply, most of us dont have a $3000 computer and need the best bang for the buck PSU.

A UPS's are a waste unless:
1)You need the battery
2)They are Active and not passive like most of these sub $100 UPS, an active UPS will actually provide power from the battery rather than the wall, and it will actually act as a clean power Unit. I usually recommend a clean power unit with a surge protector before it, even though it is an expensive solution but it will keep the PC supplied with a perfect 110V.

I dont upgrade on the same frequency
and have a very different objective than the vast majority of the members
whereas that represents a single system to me, it likely represents 2 to 3 for several other members (the compulsive ones)
when I started out it was going to be a Tyan Thunder K7Pro :p

i'd go with the Fortron or Sparkle unless you can afford one of the PCP&C Turbo-Cool PSUs.

your spending close to $1000.00 GET YE A STRONG PS DAMIT!
At least a PCP&C 510 you will only be happy knowing that you can throw pretty much anything at it and not wonder "could my PS be the problem?"
I never paid no never mind to sisoft or AIDA32 volt readings, my Enermax was reading around 11.7 but digi meter read 11.98. So I assumed that the onboard readings were off.
My new PCP&C 510 reads 11.98 MB and 12.05 digimeter. Go for the power man! You'll sleep better!

and remember ...the PSU is prolly the one component (if you buy a good one) that doesnt go obsolete every 6 month cycle .. so it will be with you thru several upgrades , and then some... :)

tenren said:
What PSU would you guys recommend to handle athlon 64 and nvidia 6800 GT?

Fortron 530W
or
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 410W

They both cost about the same but
PC Power has PFC
+12V rail max is 23A
+5V rail max is 32A
while the forton has
+12V rail max is 18A
+5V is 40A

Which is better?

About the original question (two rather good PSU not so powerful and not so expensive)
(and we don't know what is the system it will be used for) I prefer Silencer 410W because it has a more powerful 12V rail and that seems to be the most frequent PSU botteneck now and pc power seems to have the best quality available (look into this pcper article)
Sadly I did not find any article about testing overload and overvoltage PSU protecion, but a Vantec source did not shut itself when it should; I do not remember if it blew up or not.

You could always just take the middle route and get, say, an Antec TruePower PSU.

no don't get an antec. There's no excuse when the fortrons 530's are the same price as the 430w antec ad ANNIHILATE even the trupower 550.

Personally though, the pcp&c 410 would def. be my choice if you can't get the 510 deluxe. Check my sig! ;)

computerpro3, he was talking about the Silencer 410w unit which isn't really in the same class as the Turbo-Cool line. i say he'd probably be better off with a 530w Fortron/Sparkle than the 410w Silencer.

S1nF1xx said:
If you're rich buy the pcp&p. If you're not, get the Fortron.
they are the same price :rolleyes:

but i would get the pc&c not because its a better power supply, just cuz u can say u have a pcp&c

OPUS1 said:
your spending close to $1000.00 GET YE A STRONG PS DAMIT!
At least a PCP&C 510 you will only be happy knowing that you can throw pretty much anything at it and not wonder "could my PS be the problem?"
I never paid no never mind to sisoft or AIDA32 volt readings, my Enermax was reading around 11.7 but digi meter read 11.98. So I assumed that the onboard readings were off.
My new PCP&C 510 reads 11.98 MB and 12.05 digimeter. Go for the power man! You'll sleep better!

computerpro3 said:
no don't get an antec. There's no excuse when the fortrons 530's are the same price as the 430w antec ad ANNIHILATE even the trupower 550.

Personally though, the pcp&c 410 would def. be my choice if you can't get the 510 deluxe. Check my sig! ;)

how loud is this 510delux? I keep looking at one but havent jumped yet...I wanna know how friggin loud it is...I keep hearing its like an airplane and junk then others just say "its not loud" is it about as loud as say a panaflo H1a 80mm or a panaflo M1a 80mm?

it's really not that loud, and if noise IS a concern, the good folks at PCP&C can put a quieter fan in it for you.

felix88 said:
computerpro3, he was talking about the Silencer 410w unit which isn't really in the same class as the Turbo-Cool line. i say he'd probably be better off with a 530w Fortron/Sparkle than the 410w Silencer.
I would agree as well; The silencer line is only +-5%, like most supplies. The Fortron has a history of outperforming it's ratings, so for the same price get the Fortron.

advanced101101 said:
Haha, nicely put.

I don't get it. They're both under $90. The PCP&C box is only $10 more expensive than the Fortron part.

If a sawbuck makes one rich, I'm Croesus!

.B ekiM

"If a sawbuck makes one rich, I'm Croesus!"
Me to!

Ripped from allaboutturkey.com

The expression "as rich as Croesus" comes from the legendary wealth of the king who reigned from 560 to 546 BC over Lydia in western Asia Minor. Gold from the mines and from the sands of the River Pactolus filled his coffers to overflowing. The Lydians in the time of Croesus, it is believed, were the first people to coin money.

felix88 said:

Turbo 425 deluxe baby. Best of both worlds. Relatively affordable , fairly quiet if you case has good cooling and its robust.

Thanks for the replies!

So PC Power & Cooling would be a good choice if it the 510 W one?
Otherwise better to go with fortron?
Someone mentionned perhaps the 425W PC Power & cooling. Is it because it in the same product line as the 510 W version as oppose SilentX 410 line?

That's the problem "but if you can get by with...."
You won't know till you know(thanks Yogi)
Why bother trying to get by,
for a couple more bucks the rest of your system and you won't have to worry
and there's that there 5 year warranty!

NO thats not the problem at all. That psu WILL power his system. I think he was talking about price. I'd go so far as to say that that psu will power any normal rig on the market today. Incuding SLI nvidia 6800's, a Presshot, 2GB memory, and a 2x 74GB raptor array. With ease.

OPUS1 said:
and there's that there 5 year warranty!

unless of course the very first thing you do is slice the sticker, pop the top, drill & tap a few holes in the cover and secure it to your rackmount :p

tenren the various models in the Turbo Cool Line have tighter Voltage Regulation, than in thier Silencer Series,

Turbo Cool 425
+3.3V @ 40A
+5V @ 40A
+12V @ 20A
Regulation 1% (+3.3, +5, +12)

Silencer 410
+3.3V @ 28A
+5V @ 32A
+12V @ 23A
Regulation: 5% (+3.3, +5, +12)

however they do have the same Ripple spec at 1%

I would however advise that whatever power supply you get have a 24pin power connector not the older 20 pin, which would make it a ATX12V v2.0 or greater in it has the 4 pin 12V Auxillary connector or and EPS12V if the auxillary is an 8 pin connector

and if you have to use a 24pin to 20 pin main power connector converter
in fact if I was rebuying my 510 today Id get a custom harness with the 24pin main (which it has) and both the 8 & 4 pin auxillaries (making it compatible for a dual CPU SSI Compliant EPS12v and a ATX12V v2.2) currently its in just the 8 pin EPS12V version

futureproof a little its very likely your next board will have a 24 pin main power connector ;)

Ice Czar said:
unless of course the very first thing you do is slice the sticker, pop the top, drill & tap a few holes in the cover and secure it to your rackmount :p

tenren the various models in the Turbo Cool Line have tighter Voltage Regulation, than in thier Silencer Series,

Turbo Cool 425
+3.3V @ 40A
+5V @ 40A
+12V @ 20A
Regulation 1% (+3.3, +5, +12)

Silencer 410
+3.3V @ 28A
+5V @ 32A
+12V @ 23A
Regulation: 5% (+3.3, +5, +12)

however they do have the same Ripple spec at 1%

I would however advise that whatever power supply you get have a 24pin power connector not the older 20 pin, which would make it a ATX12V v2.0 or greater in it has the 4 pin 12V Auxillary connector or and EPS12V if the auxillary is an 8 pin connector

and if you have to use a 24pin to 20 pin main power connector converter
in fact if I was rebuying my 510 today Id get a custom harness with the 24pin main (which it has) and both the 8 & 4 pin auxillaries (making it compatible for a dual CPU SSI Compliant EPS12v and a ATX12V v2.2) currently its in just the 8 pin EPS12V version

futureproof a little its very likely your next board will have a 24 pin main power connector ;)

yeah you may wanna break down the 20 pin and 24 pin for those of us who dont keep up with all of that stuff LOL
Im so far behind in PSU knowledge its pathetic... the 24 pin you speak of this isnt the regular PSU plug then the seperate 4pin P4 plug is it? eplain give me a pic or somethign so I dont fuck up my next go around...unless my socket 939 changes plug format :confused:

the 24 pin stuff was more or less for server mobo use no?

Back