First time Watercooling???

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking to build an AMD 7800X3D system in a Thermaltake Tower 200 using an MicroATX Motherboard. I have never worked with watercooling or even used an AIO system before. I have been building my own systems sense getting a Celeron 333 system. This Laptop I have now is my first "Prebuilt" system sense then and it is showing it's age. I (knock on wood) have never had a system die on my for any reason so I consider myself a very qualified and lucky system builder.

I know I could just get an AIO and save time/money/hassle but what would be the fun in that. I am looking at getting EK equipment, EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB - AM5 Nickel + Plexi (Pump, Res, Waterblock all in one).
My first quistion is: In the Thermaltake Tower 200 there is room for either a 120mm Radiator up top or a 280mm Radiator in the side. I was wondering if it would be benificial to use both in series for that little bit of extra cooling? I know this would increase back pressure but should it be fine and practicle?
I want to use Flexable Tubing would the 12/16mm size be fine. I assume it is 12mm inside and 16mm outside diameter.

Here is my Wishlist at EK:
1. EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM D-RGB - AM5 Nickel + Plexi
2. EK-Quantum Surface P280M - Black Radiator
3. EK-Quantum Surface P120M - Black Radiator
4. EK-Loop Fan FPT 140 D-RGB - Black (600-2200rpm) x2
5. EK-Loop Fan FPT 120 D-RGB - Black (550-2300rpm)
6. EK-Quantum Torque STC-12/16 - Nickel x6
7. EK-Quantum Torque Compression Ring 6-Pack STC 16 - Purple
8. EK-Loop Soft Tube 12/16mm 3m - Clear
9. EK-CryoFuel Indigo Violet (Premix 1000mL)
$766.85
Am I missing anything?

I can't find the fittings seen in the first pic for the Waterblock/Pump. Anyone have a link for them?

-velocity2-ddc-4.2-pwm-d-rgb-am5-nickel-plexi-art2.jpg

Last edited:
If the total price didn't turn you off, then yes, you qualify to build a water cooled pc. Be aware there will likely be something that doesn't quite work the way you envisioned and you will need to order some extra parts once you start the build. I recommend getting a air pump leak tester. Ek makes one as does barrow to ensure your loop is air tight before filling it.

As far as dual rads and restriction, a d5 might be a bit better, but someone with a ddc can chime in and you aren't really asking a lot of the pump, many people run dual rads. I ran dual 360s in series on a d5 no problem. Give yourself plenty of room to work. Get a cheap tubing cutter, it is way cleaner than scissors. Expect to spill a little. And premixed fluid might cost more but is one less thing to figure out.

If the total price didn't turn you off, then yes, you qualify to build a water cooled pc. Be aware there will likely be something that doesn't quite work the way you envisioned and you will need to order some extra parts once you start the build. I recommend getting a air pump leak tester. Ek makes one as does barrow to ensure your loop is air tight before filling it.

As far as dual rads and restriction, a d5 might be a bit better, but someone with a ddc can chime in and you aren't really asking a lot of the pump, many people run dual rads. I ran dual 360s in series on a d5 no problem. Give yourself plenty of room to work. Get a cheap tubing cutter, it is way cleaner than scissors. Expect to spill a little. And premixed fluid might cost more but is one less thing to figure out.
Ok, thank you. From what I have seen the DDC Pump is higher pressure but less flow than a D5, so in my case may be a better choice. I don't have anything for the build just yet, kind of "Window Shopping" but watercooling is something I have been wanting to do for a while. I was looking at pics and reviews of the case and there is room for a Pump/Res in the floor of the case so I have that option as well. I am going to start buying stuff the first of next month and will decide then if this is what I want to tackle or not. The EK 280mm AIO is $70, compared to about $800 for a custom water loop. That was not sitting in my gut well last night as I went to sleep. I will for sure make this move the only quistion is when.

I recommend the D5. Ive used both and I find the D5 to be near silent. I use an XSPC pump top reservoir. Very compact.
I have seen no value in premix fluids. I have used distilled water and silver coils and had no issues with my blocks, pumps, compression fittings or radiators. Also no organic growth in the loop. Stuff is expensive, but most stuff is a one time buy. I second the purchase of a tube cutter. Also take a look at Heatkiller blocks and Bitspower compressions. Also XSPC makes some excellent thin radiators.

+1 for simple distilled water. I recently drained a loop that was filled 10+ years prior. Very, very minimal bits of anything in there. A quick flush with fresh water and it's all gone.

Diablo2K If you want a quick start set-up, that same loop can be yours! I just have been lazy getting to a For Sale post up. I will ship all of my stuff to you - some of it brand new, since I was going to rebuild my loop before being lazy (again) and going AIO - for $50+10S/H. D5 pump with new base/top/o-ring, 2 radiators, small res, D-Tek block (for S775, but you can have it), anti-bend tubing wrap (the tubing is garbage, obviously), and whatever else I have.

PXL_20231206_010227597 (Large).jpg

If you have any interest, PM me.

-bZj

Back