First ATI Card - Question

cisco guy

2[H]4U
Went out yesterday and got one of those 9800 pro's (ATI Brand) for $197

A bit confused - when you install nvidia "drivers" you get the whole shootin match

I first installed the "drivers" (only) on the CD for my O/S and in "settings/display/advance/adapter" I only had default, optimal, and a few Fv freq's. So I set the adapter to 85HZ and res to 1024 - 768. Each time I rebooted res went back to optimal (100Vf). Then 3dmark 2001 froze hard in first try - had to reset.

So I went back and installed control panel. All settings now available, res stayed correct and 3dmark ran O.K.

So you need both for card to run right???

yeah you need to have both installed for all the options to be there. I'd go get the newest ones from ATi's website though, the ones on the CD are usaully pretty old.

thnx for reply
ya I know about the "options" - open GL settings and D3D settings etc.

I just want to know if you can run the card successfully without the control panel, and if not, why would they separate them?

not really sure why they seperate them, who doesn't want to be able to tweak the settings? It will work without the control panel though.

Go nVidia! I now love nVidia because I UPGRADED to a Geforce4 MX440. :p

Dare to guess what I upgraded FROM? Heres a hint, it was ATI...

Matt Welke said:

Let the Nvidia ATI wars rage once again :rolleyes:

Matt Welke said:

Dude I would not brag about an mx440 no matter who makes it . The fact is that the mx 440 is a "castrated gaming card" I hope you like playing CS 640x 480 lol ;)

Bio Hazord said:
Let the Nvidia ATI wars rage once again :rolleyes:

looks like childlike exhuberence that forum is up again - btw why dont they announce it on home page?

anyway card wont run in 3d on my computer without cp

The reason I glorify the MX440 is because I upgraded from an ATI Rage Pro 8MB. THe tihng couldn't play anything well, and couldn't play a majoirty of games like Empire Earth, which doesn't let you in unless yur card has 32MB+, or SWG, because the card doesn't support Hardware Transform and Lighting. It sucked.

HOw can you tell me Nvidia is better after upgrading from a OLD ATI RAGE card!!!? ARE YOU STUPID? i must ask how much did you spend on that POS? Im sure you could have gotten a 9200 128mb for around the same price if not a 9600se 128mb. Nvidia slaps some BS on those and sells them for WAY too much! Ive seen that card for $89!!!! thats a rip i can get a GREAT ATI card for much less. I wouldnt tell too many more people about how great your MX geforce card is, wait til you have a 9800xt or X800 before you do that. Thats like telling me that the INTEL CELRON 1.6ghz is awesome and AMD sucks after upgrading from your AMD K6-2 333mhz.... yeah....

Back