Fibre Channel

D3v1an7

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been reading up on this for two days on the internet and I am only slightly less confused now than when I started.

Can anyone here clarify what Fibre Channel is, how it works, and how it is implemented?

I know it is the primary protocol used in SANs and that it is an extension of the SCSI specification. This protocol can use pretty much any cabling medium (not just fiber).

I would also like to know how Fibre Channel relates to setting up a SAN.

I would appreciate any input on the subject or a point in the direction of a quality resource to use. Everything I can find just gives bits and pieces of the whole picture and ends up making more new questions than it answers.

Thanks all

Nevermind, didn't see the sticky at first.

BTW, great links Ice Czar.

thanx :D

actually FC is protocol independent

a summary, its advantage FC (as opposed to SAN) is the bandwidth and scalability which is additive, a single channel (or loop) @ 100MB/s, so running a multiple loops (known as fabric) gives you increased throughput 5 loops 500MB/s, the other great advantage is the cable length, with distances up to 10km, and of course the number of devices that can be supported (up to 126 per loop)

a few more FC specific links Seagate FC White Paper
Seagate Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop Technology Paper

I think my last area of confusion is what FC is categorized as. If it is not a protocol, and it is not a medium (it can work over fiber and copper), then what is it?

I/O method?

What I am basically understanding is that FC is a revision of (or is)SCSI-3. I read that when a FC NIC is installed, the server detects it as a SCSI interface card.

Can FC be described as SCSI over dedicated network? (In simplest terms)

What protocol does it use, if any? TCP?

I also read that it can be made routable by installing FC-IP (Fibre Channel over IP) but I didn't see anything more on that topic explaining how it works.

I so need an expert to answer a few questions so I can get an understanding on this.

Another question is, where does the management software reside? Is it on the switch or one of the servers connected to the SAN?

Thanks for all the help

Originally posted by blackrino9
I so need an expert to answer a few questions so I can get an understanding on this.

LOL I should have quit at nevermind :p

Im not that expert
however An introduction to Fibre Channel might provide the answers you seek ;)
But more likely will just generate new questions :p

Thanks for the help, I certainly appreciate the links.:)

I went to Barnes and Noble and found a SAN for Dummies book. Explained everything I needed to know.

I finally understand!:D

well its sort of neverending of course, it mention 4GB FC? :p

whats your application?

Back