FBI Data Open to Insider Attacks

HardOCP News

[H] News
New Scientist says that the FBI is wide open to attacks from any employee with access to a computer terminal, regardless of their security clearance. Ummm, that can't be good.

According to the Government Accountability Office in Washington DC, the FBI fails to consistently apply such standard authentication measures as passwords and biometrics to guard against unauthorized access to its computer files. All a potential data thief need do is get a job there, and so gain physical access to a computer. This lets them reach sensitive data, regardless of their security status.

Why am I not surprised...

Maybe because the FBI has lost witnesses, had witnesses killed in major cases, etc.?

The FBI and law enforcement in general are STUPID, and do not really think about security risks and stuff. In fact, one of my cousin's husbands who works for the FBI told me that it was like pulling teeth from a saber-tooth tiger when he tried to get his branch office to heighten their security after a major breach.

As we got a look at in the Whitey Bulger case, the STOOOPID is intentional. There are enough corrupt ckskrs in the FBI to undermine security 6 way from sunday.

Having met a couple of these FBI people, I put the avg IQ at 110. IE: no better than the population as a whole.

Nice to know our lives hang in the balance, huh :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D

Meantime, ever wonder why the borders aren't secured and drug trafficking is more volumonous than ever.... cause the Govt is getting a cut is my suspicion. With all the $$ floating around, imagine how many law enforcement types have been corrupted. Just look at the Mexican govt as an example, the Mexican army is in trying to "clean up" the drug problems.... only they aren't trying to stop it, they are working for one cartel killing off it's competitors.

With all the WIZARD computer anti-crime anti-terror types the FBI is alleged to have on staff.... they can't secure their own files. Implausible and yet true.

The problem is, FBI needs to hire their quota of geeks, instead of having a guy with a gun standing next to the computers frisking people for ID! :p

Who wants to be an FBI geek?? :D

Back