Faroudja DV1000?

d34dly

2[H]4U
So here is the deal... I wasn't sure where to put this but here goes.

I am an intern for my church youth department. I was sent to figure out how to hook up the big screen TV and all the sound equipment. So I begin looking at what they have and they had recently bought a cheap $40 DVD player to replace one they didn't have cables for.

Well they have no speakers on surround sound just what is on the big screen.

So anyway this so called "old" DVD player looked pretty high end to me. They told me I could pawn it if I wanted, so I thought I would go online at see what this thing retailed at...

$5400-6000?!?!?!?!?!

I nearly fell outta my seat. I know nothing about super-high-end systems and this just amazed me. It is a friggin DVD player. No one in the youth department knows where it came from or even what it is. Is it reall worth this much?

The church has no use for it because they have a crappy DVD and no speakers or anything high end.

The other things they had were

1) Enlightened Audion Designs - Theater Master (sound processor)
2) John G. Iverson - Eagle 2 (amplifier)

Anyone know?

Worth more like $1000 on the used market. Faroudja probably makes the best HD video processors right now. The quality of a progressive scan picture put through one of these is going to look miles better than a cheapo progressive scan player. This is the kind of thing home theater buffs buy for their $20k setups, so I'm wondering how your church got talked into buying one (maybe even at retail). Of course, if it was a donation of something, then yay! :) The Theater Master is also a big ticket item, and I think the Eagle 2 is an older (but very good) stereo amp.

Wow, nice find!
According to this pdf you can control averything from your computer via a serial port (command line interface).

This is what Wired had to say about it in 1998:
Faroudja DV1000
The DVD player with the nearly unpronounceable name produces an image that rivals 35-mm film. Faroudja's device, with proprietary audio and video circuitry, is the model of choice for high-end home theater companies like Cello Music & Film Systems, and it provides a better moviegoing experience on every level than a seat in your local multiplex.

DV1000: US$5,495. Faroudja Laboratories: +1 (408) 735 1492, on the Web at www.faroudja.com/.

It is pretty much valued at around $800-1200 now. I just sold a DVP-3000 for $4000 and it was originally an MSRP of around 17k.

They aren't just dvd players but dvd players with built in scalers to upconvert to the displays resolution. Nice unit but deffinately overkill for the church setup you mention.

Ok guys thanks... The church is located in the rich part of Dallas, so I assume that it was donated. I know the church would never have bought something that high end. It is obviously a donation.

Thanks for the help guys. :D

Back