External USB drive read/writes slow + errors

Octavo

Limp Gawd
hello :)

So a while ago a friend of mine came to me with his laptop and said he needed to upgrade the hard drive. I told him laptop drives are expensive, why not go the cheap and easy route and just buy a normal 3.5" hard drive and a usb2.0 storage enclosure and save the space in the laptop as well.

So he does this, and everything is going fine, then all of a sudden one day it takes him an hour to copy a 700 meg file to his usb drive, and every once in a while it gives him some kind of error (not sure as I havent been able to replicate the error yet).

I checked all of the drivers off the bat, but nothing seems out of line, I also made sure that the drive was on its own root hub, though I'm not too sure if reducing the reserved system bandwidth would make a difference in transfer speed (nor how to go about doing it if it would make a difference.)

I'm stumped as to what else to do, the drive has been defragmented, and it is DEFINITELY running at 2.0 vs. 1.1

I know that copying files in explorer can slow down a lot when there are errors in the stream, whether over USB or just plain ATA, but any idea what would be causing them ?

Thanks in Advance....

could be a couple things. could be a hardware problem. Find the mfg of the laptop and download some hardware testing util's.(most mfg's provide them). If that doesnt turn up anything, try changing the usb cable. Try another USB port on the laptop. Call the mfg of the external drive and see if there are any know problems. Maybe the firmware needs flashed.

Did he updated any drivers. That could be the source of the problem.

First check for hardware issues then start digging in the software.

Nope he didn't change any drivers, and I already switched the drive to a new usb port on the laptop.

I'll try a new cable though I hadn't thought of that, that is actually a really good idea, thanks :)

I really think it is going to end up being a software problem though, it just has that feeling to it, but I will try a new cable and get back to yall.

Laptop is an HP so the diagnostics are on a partition on the noteboook hdd, and bootable to boot (pun intended) I already ran em too :(

lata

definately run the Manufacturers Diagnostic

I have a pretty low opinion of 3.5" Form Factor HDDs being sold as externals, they really arent designed for that, but since the large capacities are the "sell"....

2.5" internal laptop HDDs have a much more robust design for "transportability"

" Enhanced Rigidity: Smaller drives use smaller platters, which are less susceptible to damage as a result of shock, always a concern for a drive that will be moved around (often while operating!)

They are also used occasionally in industrial applications, where the smaller size and increased ruggedness of portable drives is important.

Enhanced Rigidity: The rigidity of a platter refers to how stiff it is. Stiff platters are more resistant to shock and vibration, and are better-suited for being mated with higher-speed spindles and other high-performance hardware. Reducing the hard disk platter's diameter by a factor of two approximately quadruples its rigidity.

The smallest hard disk platter size available on the market today is a miniscule 1" in diameter! IBM's amazing Microdrive has a single platter and is designed to fit into digital cameras, personal organizers, and other small equipment. The tiny size of the platters enables the Microdrive to run off battery power, spin down and back up again in less than a second, and withstand shock that would destroy a normal hard disk.
last 2 from Hard Disk Platters and Media, in addition to the decreased platter size, the actuator is generally more rigid as well, and the head parking \ landing zone and power down routines optimized

where as the slightest bump durng operation of a 3.5" can lead to headslap

"Head slap is when the actuator arm/read-write assembly impacts the platter due to a shock such as a tip-over, a tap with a screwdriver, or an overly aggressive shove to get the drive into a bay. This can also occur if you try to scoot the box across your desk while it is running.

As a result of the impact, tiny indentations can be formed. The material ejected from this impact is scattered about the disc, and when the drive is powered up the heads will pass over this indentation and the ejected material. This can be the equivalent of running over a bowling ball in a go-cart traveling at Mach 813."

on the non physical side, check the fragmentation level and if the filesystem is damaged (chkdsk)

Is the drive powered by the USB bus or do you have the option of using an external AC adapter. If its powered by the USB bus and you can use and AC adapter try that also.

Back