EQ2 or WoW??

if you like pvp go for wow, if grouping and grinding is your cup of tea go eq2.

Deadsexy said:

I can't really let this stand as it is....so far there has been no grinding at all in EQ2 for me. Also, solo play is entirely possible, not even very hard at all.

Not sure about PvP yet, but they just introduced a PvP system as well (haven't tried it though).

Your comment is not quite accurate.

Deadsexy said:

This should be read as if you like PvP go for Eve Online (best PvP experience you will ever find), Ultima Online or Shadowbane. WoW's PvP is horribly implemented and unbalanced. EQ2 has a PvP system in place now, it remains to be seen if it will be any good (probably won't since PvP in a game designed for PvE are always horrible).

dano said:
I've seen this said a few times now and it makes me very curious, I played EQ2 from release for around 10 months, had a break, went back for a few months and have now cancelled again due to lack of playtime but I have always thought the animation was superb and very smooth. I wonder if it's one of the many settings somewhere affecting it? Anyway, can you explain in a little more detail exactly what you mean by the comment?

Thanks,

Dano.

Sure. It's hard to explain, but it's like the characters are moving faster across the terrian than the animation says they should be. It looks like they are sliding around as opposed to running around. Another thing is that I'm assuming for performance reasons they limited the frames of animation for characters in the distance. The problem is this distance isn't all that far, LoD kicks in when they're not very far away. So if you're using ranged attacks you'll see characters and NPCs moving around in robotic fashon and when you pull them and they're coming toward you it looks really silly. It's worse on large npcs like giants because they're so big. This big lumbering thing with 3 frames of animation sliding across the terrain toward you at some crazy speed. It's also very noticable on the centipedes and snakes when you pull them. They're not moving toward you, they're just sliding toward you with some anmiation thrown in that doesn't sync with what it's doing, it's very jerky and unnatural. It's the very first thing I noticed when I started playing EQ2.
Once they get up close the animation is ok looking, but otherwise...

I've got a pretty fast system, X2 4400 and 2x7800GTXs. I tried bumping the detail up all the way to extreme setting but it didn't have any affect other than a slideshow. The odd out of sync animation still existed.

Ok, I never had a problem with the animation distance thing, there is a setting in the options that controls that, as a Ranger I also played at distance a lot of the time and didn't really see much of that, not saying you need to tweak further, I may just have not really noticed it. As for the sliding/running thing, I think that depends upon Race, I think the base run speed was set for humans and everything else scaled, I always thought it odd that my Half Elf had to take about two strides to every one of my Gnome buddy :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain :)

Still, it's a fun game and as stated by a previous poster, I never had to do any grinding whatsoever, was level 59 when I last played.

Dano.

dano said:
Ok, I never had a problem with the animation distance thing, there is a setting in the options that controls that, as a Ranger I also played at distance a lot of the time and didn't really see much of that, not saying you need to tweak further, I may just have not really noticed it. As for the sliding/running thing, I think that depends upon Race, I think the base run speed was set for humans and everything else scaled, I always thought it odd that my Half Elf had to take about two strides to every one of my Gnome buddy :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain :)

Still, it's a fun game and as stated by a previous poster, I never had to do any grinding whatsoever, was level 59 when I last played.

Dano.

Do you know what that setting is? I've been thinking about giving EQ2 another go as I've been reading up on some of the changes they've done. The animation is a minor annoyance but doesn't detract from the gameplay, but if it's easy to fix then all the better. :)

I think its the Fast Animation Distance setting... can't remember for sure, Next time I go to my Bro's I'll mess his settings up and see :)

Dano.

Hey guys, been reading this thread and I decided to give EQ2 another try, I bought the game on launch day but never really got into over WoW although I haven't played WoW for at least 6 months either because I have a bunch of RL friends playing WoW and the ugliness they showed over loot was just ridiculous, and these are grown adults!

Anyways, I reinstalled EQ2 last night and yeah the game is better, well at least looks better (maybe it's just because I have better hardware now). But the biggest problem for me is still there: I don't know what to do and there's always nobody around! I mean it's so hard to interact with other people, most of the time when I see a player I'll wave and say hi, 90% of the time I get straight ignored, no response at all. The other 10% of the time they turn and look at me for a sec then turn back ignore me. I got the impression that everyone's extremely "leet" when I first played EQ2 for the first time, and now I still get the same impression.

I mean WoW zone general chat might get filled with kids' crap from time to time but if you ask a question or something in general chat you'll be sure to get a bunch of replies, most of them helpful. But I was wandering around aimlessly in Freeport not knowing what my next step should be so I /who'd the zone and there was about 15 people so I said from /ooc "Where's a good place to start off as a newbie? Feeling kind of lost in this game." 10 mins passed by and you guessed it, not a single word from anyone. It's like a ghost town where all the ghosts hate each other's guts.

And the fact that it's more solo friendly? Well a little bit maybe but it doesn't solve the problem. I was on the beginner's island, I was level 6 and needed to kill the elders in the cave. I attempted to finish them off by myself for what must be 10+ times with no chance of winning. There were 3 other on the island so I PM'd them all but nobody gave me a response, and now I'm stuck, I can't do this by myself yet nobody interracts with each other. That's the thing that I thought was a problem nearly a year and half ago. It's not a bad thing to be group oriented, but when your players won't f-ing talk to each other AND you make it impossible to DIY THEN it's a problem.

Can anybody shed some light on me? I understand that this game has a steep learning curve (I played FFXI for a whole year and got 2 jobs to 70), but I don't even have an idea about where to take the first step and it's quite frustrating.

EDIT: I think I found some help, it's getting better.

Back