Energy Costs?

Midnite8

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I am kind of confused on how much energy will cost mining. There are calculators out there that tell you expected earnings and such after energy costs. I am going to mine with only 2x sapphire dual-x 280x and 1x powercolor 7970.
I looked up energy costs in my city and it says:
aYVdplo

Last edited:
in my city it costs me $0.069 per kw-hr

So, figure a rig that consumes 1000w is $0.069*24hrs/day * 30d/mo = $50 / mo

your "tiers" are structured for how many kw-hrs you consume.
Assuming you stay at Tier 1 rates, running those 3 gpus will put you around 260w*3 = 780w (undervolt a little to save power)
round to 800w
800w * 0.1363 * 24*30 = $98 / mo

YEOWCH!

I LOVE my cheap power rates!

I'm pulling about 9500w (total around 6800 kw-hrs in a month), so it adds over $450 to my power bill each month.

Last edited:
how many Mhash are you pushing Macker? just curious

I pay 5.5 cents per kwh (north Texas) for the next 7 months on contract. Currently putting out ~5Mhash and soon as some parts come in will be sitting on 7Mhash.

My electric bill is around 100 dollars (and that includes things like running an electric dryer, dishwasher, and electric stove)

Lol you guys have no idea how lucky you are. In connecticut I pay 18.9cents/kwh. In California at third tier rates I pay 35cents/kwh.

I'm at like 14 once all the various fees are in. The city runs the power here so we never have outages for long but at the expense paying too much per watt

Lol you guys have no idea how lucky you are. In connecticut I pay 18.9cents/kwh. In California at third tier rates I pay 35cents/kwh.

Truly sucks man.

I won't turn this into any sort of political debate, but it's just so crazy to me how politics and retarded laws drive up the prices for things in certain places.

I can totally understand why gas is more expensive in Hawaii that's something caused by simple geography. California is a WELL connected state, it's not some 3rd world cess pool, the extreme high cost of living is something that could easily be fixed over time if things like cheaper power and a host of other changes were made.

I can't fathom what makes 1W of energy 600% more valuable in CA than in TX.

Which tier do I use to calculate ny costs then? I am pulling around 2.1 m/h

Look at your recent power bills and how much you used. Use that as a baseline, then add however much the rigs will use to that. Each tier costs a specific amount once filled up. For me, my power usage was already pretty high, so I calculated my rigs at the most expensive rate. FYI, ~550ish watts cost me over $150 per month here in CA @ 35-36 cents per kWh. It's not worth it for me anymore, so I stopped mining for now.

I live in Daly City, CA and our energy bill is already around $300(living with 5 other people) and tier 5 says .35c per kw. Probably won't be worth it for me to run the rig at home either

Probably not then. It gets more profitable the more rigs you have though, although your power bill will also go through the roof. If you have family in another state with cheaper power, you could always try to set it up there and use something like team viewer to control the PC :p

Back