Ecs K7s5a Pro?

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
is the ecs k7s5a pro good for gaming and stuff. ive heard bad things about it. i already have it ive had it for a while and just wondering if i should get a newone

It's not bad, but it's certainly not top of the line.
You can find overclocking BIOSes over at the ocworkbench.com forum, but ECS boards tend not to overclock that well (fully stably).

If it's running stable for you I'd just build a new box when you have the money and keep that as a backup or a server, or give it to a family member or friend.

so it might not over clock if i try to. hmmm that sucks ill probaly get an asus

If you don't care about overclocking and want good NIC onboard its good. Its also cool that you can use sd or ddr ram in it, however it is limited to 2 sticks only. Also the FSB only goes as far as 133 without the cheapo bios , and i have never seen one post at a 166mhz setting.

I'm getting a DFI nf2 400- al fedexed to me from newegg tommorow , its a pretty cheap board (61$ shippped). It also has only 2 dimm slots, but has onboard 6.1 audio , nic, 8xagp. Their are no reviews of this board on the internet, so i don't know how well it will oc. But it seems to be a stripped down version of the badass dfi lan party board, even uses the same northbridge heatsink. If it can oc to the same kind of FSB settings then it is one badass board for 61$.

I'm actually planning on writing a review pitting it against a k7s5a and a chaintech kt400 appogee board in that sub 70$ category. It will be my first, since it will be the only such review around i guess somebody will probably want to read it. maybe.

When I had my K7S5A pro in my main rig, it was 100% stable and with the Cheepoman (sp?) Bios I was going at 147fsb with no problems. Just recently though, Ive retired that faithful board for an Asus A7N8X and havent looked back. Even though I have a lot of respect for my k7s5a, the Nforce 2 chipset just smokes it.

Back