Early GT/Ultra adopters - rip off your fan stickers (any brand)

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
EDIT: Error in thread title, this only appears to affect 6800GT cards due to the irregular surface on the top of the 6800GT fan.

If you got a 6800GT with a small brand sticker (around 1/2") on the center inner rim of the cooling fan, rip it off. New GTs are no longer shipping with the sticker because there is the possibility it may fall off and get sucked into the fan, as the 6800GT fan sucks air in instead of blowing it out.

So, if you got a GT with a small sticker on the center of the fan, take it off to be safe. Quite a few owners already got their cards toasted from stickers that fell off into the fan.

The sticker is holding fine on my Ultra so I am leaving it on for now. My GT didn't come with a sticker though.

Scott

sonyman said:
The sticker is holding fine on my Ultra so I am leaving it on for now. My GT didn't come with a sticker though.

Scott

You have an Ultra AND a GT?? You lucky bastard.

They are no longer shipping with them? Says who? Frys has had two shipments, some with and some without stickers. The last batch was about 50/50 with stickers.

Where are you getting your info? I've read about the one evga guys sticker coming off and getting stuck in the fan, but that's the only instance I know about.

so post some proof or go POOF!

[BB] Rick James said:
My GT's is painted on the heat sink; aren't they all?

I'm talking about on the inside rim of the fan, not on the outer shell of the cooling system.

oozish said:
They are no longer shipping with them? Says who? Frys has had two shipments, some with and some without stickers. The last batch was about 50/50 with stickers.

Where are you getting your info? I've read about the one evga guys sticker coming off and getting stuck in the fan, but that's the only instance I know about.

so post some proof or go POOF!

If you read through nvnews or eVGA I've read around 6-10 people who have had their sticker fall off or half come off, including eVGA and PNY cards. Out of those 6-10, about 3 of the stickers fell into the fan and damaged the card. It seems to happen after about a month of having the card in your system.

This primarily affects the GT fan likely because it has a raised bump in the center of the fan so the sticker does not make good contact with the surface - my BFG came with the sticker half off brand new, and I just pushed it back on. Now I took it off, and it came off real easily.

This is just a heads up, you can keep it on if you want since its your card, but being that you aren't really gaining much from a tiny 1/2" sticker not sure why you would risk it, especially now that it seems all the new cards are shipping without stickers.

I was at Fry's Electronics a few days ago and noticed that the BFG 6800GTs (about three or four of them) all had the stickers on them. My PNY 6800GT came without a sticker... a good thing.

I took my sticker off the next day after I bought my BFG GT. It gets very warm in a case, and the heat I would imagine makes the sticker losen up.

so far my sticker has been holding strong for a month on my BFG 6800 Ultra. no reason to rip it off yet.

I dont even had a sticker... the picture is a solid piece that is part of my HS...

My fan did not have a sticker on it. I have the BFG 6800 GT OC. The large enclosure thing seems to have a sticker though, but that's not causing the problems, just the one on the spinning fan.

The sticker on my BFG was falling off while still in the package. I just pulled it off and reseated it in the middle (it was way off center).

tranCendenZ said:
If you read through nvnews or eVGA I've read around 6-10 people who have had their sticker fall off or half come off, including eVGA and PNY cards. Out of those 6-10, about 3 of the stickers fell into the fan and damaged the card. It seems to happen after about a month of having the card in your system.

This primarily affects the GT fan likely because it has a raised bump in the center of the fan so the sticker does not make good contact with the surface - my BFG came with the sticker half off brand new, and I just pushed it back on. Now I took it off, and it came off real easily.

This is just a heads up, you can keep it on if you want since its your card, but being that you aren't really gaining much from a tiny 1/2" sticker not sure why you would risk it, especially now that it seems all the new cards are shipping without stickers.

doh! I just realized you were .tranCendenZ ; I didn't look at the poster name when I replied..and being that I've seen you around so much and you've been so helpful ect. please forgive my harsh manner of posting.

I applied some AS today and took the fan sticker off while I was at it. :)

Again, sorry for the 'say proof or go POOF!'...but hey, I think I've come a clever diss, no? haha. Thanks for the word up. :D

i just got my 6800GT today, and the sticker looks visibly loose. i have not installed it yet, but i will certainly tear that thing off when i do. i probably wouldn't have looked that closely had i not read this post, so thanks!

My fan stick was indeed falling off....I barely touched it and away it went...

Sure woulda sucked if it had got sucked up and stopped the fan... :(

toga said:
i just got my 6800GT today, and the sticker looks visibly loose. i have not installed it yet, but i will certainly tear that thing off when i do. i probably wouldn't have looked that closely had i not read this post, so thanks!

Mine looked like it would have come off easily as well. So I removed it.

I had a mysterious occurance where my curcuit breakers went and my rig shut down, My ups lasted a few seconds. (time for a bigger one)

I opened the case and in fact my sticker was at the bottom of the case. It did not compute then, I replaced the card , as well as the pws temporarly in order to trouble shoot and once I put everything back there were no issues.

That day I see the post about the stickers and it occurred to me that maybe the sticker got caught in the fan and somehow caused the breaker to go. I have since removed the sticker and no other issues have occured.

PS: I was running a shit load of equipment includeing AIR conditioner, two cell phone chargers , dual monitors, a second rig , cable modem, router etc etc.

It sounds like they didn't even have enough time to test the cards. As soon as they were able to make them, they were shipped.

I wonder why they're so damn scarce :confused:

OriginalReaper said:
It sounds like they didn't even have enough time to test the cards. As soon as they were able to make them, they were shipped.

I wonder why they're so damn scarce :confused:

Well, Nvidia tested the cards without a fan sticker. The board manufacturers then added on their fan sticker and didn't test it any further, probably didnt realize it might get sucked into the fan.

I just noticed from a pic that I took from my GT the first day that I got it and it clearly shows that the fan didnt come with a sticker at all.

shuttle3.jpg

ozziegn said:
I just noticed from a pic that I took from my GT the first day that I got it and it clearly shows that the fan didnt come with a sticker at all.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ozziegn1/shuttle3.jpg

ya know i dont know whats worse(and dont take this as a flame bait tactic, just an observation)

the fact that i dont have one of these cards yet or that the card is damn near as long as the freaking SFF case its in.....=O

Back