E3 Quakewars thoughts

deathBOB said:
Question: Will you be able to auto download maps when connecting to a server? The BF series does not have this feature and it really limits the mapping community.

Any Quake players care to answer this?

deathBOB said:
Any Quake players care to answer this?

Quake 2 you can

Quake 3 you can - least the mods I was playing could

Quake 4 - Haven't had time to play online

on the other hand I've been too busy to play anything in the last year, so I could be wrong.

talley said:
Quake 2 you can

Quake 3 you can - least the mods I was playing could

Quake 4 - Haven't had time to play online

on the other hand I've been too busy to play anything in the last year, so I could be wrong.
The 1.1/1.2 Q4 patch was actually made to fix some bugs with Auto-downloading. Also more recent id engines have included the ability to redirect the download to a website so you could take the load off the game server.

Quake1 even had autodownloading of maps and after a quick look through my quake4 configs it seems that autodownload is on by default. (Which makes a big difference because the majority wouldnt ever turn the darn thing on if it were off.)

if the server has it enabled, it'll download any files you need or required to play the game

Yeah, those were the days for me....Quake 2. I remember my map directory had dozens of maps that were all pulled down from the servers I joined. Tons of maps. I remember the anticipation of waiting to see what map I was gonna be fragging on. And you could use these bots to frag against, Eraser Bots, on pretty much any map (although they didn't always do well with climbing ladders and such) that you wanted to try out. And the grappling hook. That's something I miss. It never quite caught on in Quake 3 like it did in Quake 2.

Heh, grappling hook should be interesting now with physic apis that will take the work outa making it rope like.
(which is something I always wanted to see back in quake1)

Stiler said:
Yea......five shots to take someone down is a lot to me.

That's why I prefer games like Operation flashpoint/Red orchestra, realistic damage.

Espically when you're using a rifle and such like I used in W:ET.

I prefer damage in my fps games to be more realistic then rewarding the "spray and pray" type of players where those with the fastest trigger fingers/smg's overpower those that prefer to use better aim + rifles and such. Even BF2's damage model is better imo.

Fair enough. ET isn't realistic, its "arcade-y" but that's a matter of preference.

But it's hardly a spray-and-pray type shooter. The spread with the smg's are so neglible you can almost say there's hardly any at all. Rifle or smg, I shoot about the same with both

uhh...

i dunno, my friends, their friends, and i still aren't anxious to try 2142 after watching that video.

i'm just interested, how did it dwarf it?

pistola said:
IMO BF 2142 totally dwarfed it. Whats Quake Wars?
:eek:

You cant be serious, are you?

BF 2 was crap, 2142 looks like it will be more of the same.

pistola said:
IMO BF 2142 totally dwarfed it. Whats Quake Wars?

You meant this as a joke right? Please say you mean this as a joke.

This baffles(word? Im so shocked by this statement, makin up things) me :confused: :confused:

being at e3, and seeing both games in action, i came away from the show being more interested in BF2142 than ET:QW as well.

part of my interest stems from the fact that 2142 will have stats/unlocks just like bf2 did and ET:QW have announced no such thing that i've seen. im a highly competitive person and i have 30+ co-workers that i play with and i enjoy knowing that i aim better and have higher rank than them....even people that are higher than me on the corporate ladder :)

jester1176 said:
being at e3, and seeing both games in action, i came away from the show being more interested in BF2142 than ET:QW as well.

part of my interest stems from the fact that 2142 will have stats/unlocks just like bf2 did and ET:QW have announced no such thing that i've seen. im a highly competitive person and i have 30+ co-workers that i play with and i enjoy knowing that i aim better and have higher rank than them....even people that are higher than me on the corporate ladder :)

I can honestly say I'm glad it won't come with any sort of unlockable weapons, permanent stats, and global ranks. IMO that's what turned bf2 off for me. All there was were rambos running around on low-skill level servers statwhoring. Thats not exactly what I would call competitive. If you wanna own your friends at an FPS, nothing says it better than pistol whipping them. You don't need any better gun to do it.

i think having a stats system per server works bettern then a global setting, at least that way you can develop communities per server

and i also hate the idea of having to unlock weapons, i just want to get into the fight and do what i do best ... frag, i can honestly see myself doing that with QW

Back