DVD Ram question (my first post!)

z28summit

n00b
Hey all. I have just joined so I hope you have some patience with me. I dont know alot but am always wanting to learn.

Anyways, I am looking into a DVD rom to back up my system, watch some movies, etc. So I thought I would get a DVD Ram drive for the backing up part. But when I called a local pc place, he said that they are getting hard to come by, and that everyone is starting to 'lean away' from thses. My question is why?

Also, I am looking into buying a TV tuner, and was wondering what is a good/bad one

Thanks

DVD-RAM is pretty much going away, because the discs you burn with them are only compatible with mostly the burners themselves, most stand alone players or DVD-ROM's cant read them. The better option is to get a dual format, dual layer DVD-RW drive, this will be the new standard for the time being. You can burn discs that can be read in most any DVD player/ROM.

For TV tuners, the Hauppage PVR-250 and -350 are widely considered the best.

LG GSA-4120B,writes +R @ 12X, -R @8X, 2.4X DVD+R DL and 5X DVD-RAM.
Good drive, DVD_RAM is the best format for backups, data verification is inbuilt and it can do 100,000 rewrites, as compared to ~1000 for DVD+/-RW.

if you want to "burn DVDs" you are going to want a DVD +/- rw drive. this will let you make back ups of data on 4.7GB dvds (or dual layer if you want to spring a few more bucks)

dvd +/- rw drives come in speeds ranging from 1x to 12x as of right now. i personally use a 4x NEC 1300a and am extremely happy with it. it works with all of the media i have tried, and takes about an hour to make a complete "back up" of a retail dvd, including ripping, encoding, compressing and burning the disk(s)

with a dvd+/-rw drive you can also back up data like music, pics, programs or videos (all legal of course), and watch regular DVDs

Back